Sinister: in a strange strange place

alex tobin alex at xxx.nl
Thu Dec 10 06:53:59 GMT 1998

imagine yourself strapped into a tiny seat in the back of an airplane,
waiting to fly from england's stansted airport back to the beautiful
dutch city of maastricht in holland.  you've finally stowed your
carry-on in the much-too-small overhead compartment, the flight
attendant is preparing to shell out those oh-so-delicious little peanut
snacks, and they're playing something that amounts to mantovani meets
the 101 strings on the plane's p.a. to soothe the passengers before
take-off.  sound familiar so far?  thought so.

now imagine the sounds of sting blaring away as he sings about legal
aliens and englishmen in new york.  strange, but - alright, it can
happen.  now imagine my face, as i'm turning the pages of my new q
magazine (better than those in-flight mags, i tell ya), when what should
sound out from that tape player they've got hidden somewhere between the
loo and the cockpit, but - yes! - our very own belle and the boy
sebastian with 'get me away from here, i'm dying'.  phwaw!  on a plane.
klm at that.  and isn't that just a trifle morbid?  hmmm...

so, dear sinisterites, at the risk of starting a random new thread of
conversational hub-bub, i would like to know what the strangest place
you have ever heard a b&s song played is.  any takers?

oh - and the flight attendant, who was not unattractive, didn't know
where the tape came from.  at least she waited till the song was over to
demonstrate how to open and close my seatbelt...

alex
http://www.tobin.demon.nl