Sinister: Wordy Dream #1

Iangstl at xxx.com Iangstl at xxx.com
Thu Dec 10 14:25:54 GMT 1998

Hi List,

Allow me to say that I don't know what most of the band looks like and I
really don't know what the lot of you look like, but as some other dreamer
stated, you just know these things in dreams.  So some of you are in this
dream and I'm not sure why and I'm not sure if my dream of you looks like you,
but you're there anyway.  I must also address that I am on a lot of codeine
right now as I am recovering from a bad case of bronchitis.  I nodded out in
my chair while listening to Miles' In a Silent Way.

My first Belle and Sebastian dream and it happens in a Veterans Hall....

I'm in the hall and I look back to see David on the door taking the cash to
enter this weird party/indoor fair.  The place is dark, like all paneled VFW
halls.  There are various mock booths around and most are charging $5.00 for
whatever you get to do.  I see Robbie at the "Write a Song with Stevie" booth
and he's arguing with Stevie about the words.  Robbie wants to include "the
word shit with an E on the end" and Stevie thinks that "poo" is more
appropriate.  There's a sign above a table with glitter letters that reads
"The Duke Sells Out."  On the table is a stack of books and a plastic water
cooler brimming with cash.  I'm about to drop my five in the cooler when I see
that the book is actually "Tears are Not Enough" by Martin Frye.  I take my
money back and walk away grumpy.  The music in the hall is awful and I look
for the source.  I see Tag and Wee Chris and Stuart David working on a
turntable.  It seems that someone only brought 45's and the table is locked on
33; so everyone sounds like The Sisters of Mercy.  Katrina is selling band
photos and that gets me excited so I wait in line and smile as I walk away
with glossy in hand.  It's a group pic and they are all wearing prison
coveralls and are shackled to each other.  They have black bars across their
eyes and milk mustaches.  Under the picture is the scary commercial slogan
"Got TigerMILK?"  I still think it's funny, but like Pavlov's dog, it makes me
look for something to drink.  I spot a table where Stuart Murdoch is filling
these tiny dixie cups with some nasty red punch.  He is frantically trying to
fill them and not making eye contact with anyone.  Just as he thinks he's
poured enough, the cups vanish and he becomes more annoyed.  LesleyJo is there
asking him about Isobel.  She is sporting some bizarre patent leather outfit
under a purple cardigan.  She has a riding crop in one hand and a leather
collar with the word "Belle" engraved on a silver plate in the other.
LesleyJo asks a frustrated Stuart "When will Isobel be back.  I'm worried that
without this (holds up collar) she will not find her way home."  He just
shakes his head and mutters "Later, mumble mumble. Later."  I think all the
disappearing punch is collecting in my bladder so I make a break for the
bathroom.  On the way I spot Honey in charge of a booth that's called "Goose
the QueenMum."  Brad is dressed as the QueenMum and Sarah, with videocam slung
over shoulder, is in line with a fist full of dollars.  I'm still debating if
that's a booth to try when I reach the bathrooms.  One door is marked Judy,
the other Horse.

At that point, my stereo remote fell out of my hand, hitting the floor,
causing my kitten to leap from my chest and startle me to semi-wakefullness.
I rushed, or rather stumbled as any codeine-filled person knows that stumbling
is a hurried state, to the computer to make sure I captured all dream notes,
as I usually do in my notebook near my bed on the rare occasion I remember my
dream.

Hope it doesn't frighten any of you in my dream, I'm still sorting out why I
dreamed of you too.

Back to the Land of Nod,
dawn