Sinister: Chet Baker, Julie London...nice n' smooth

FourJacksAndAJill bkim0 at xxx.edu
Thu Dec 10 17:48:41 GMT 1998

Ivo and Arantxa brought up Chet Baker, thank goodness.  He's amazing, such
an underrated singer...you just have to think of the phrase "little boy
blue" when hearing things like "I Get Along Without You Very Well" and of
course "My Funny Valentine."  But his upbeat stuff ("I Remember You") is
great too...a smooth easygoing melancholic voice of a strung-out angel.
(Poetic license mode on)

I also think you could do worse than to check out Julie London, Ms. "Cry
Me A River"...usually backed up only by an upright bass and an electric
guitar but the songs move, sway, hush, and lie back on the pillow with a
cigarette in hand when combined with her voice.  Not too brassy, not too
sassy, but just enough.  Julie *is* her name.

If you want to enjoy a good solitary night, put these albums on "repeat"
and drink and smoke as much as you can take, slowly.  Don't play it too
loud, and turn the lights down low.  If you're still with us in the
morning consider yourself stronger for it.

Xavier
--
BXK                             		M o t h e r ,   M a y
bkim0 at dept.english.upenn.edu     		    I   S l e e p