Sinister: Calling for a truce...

Sandra Duric SANDRAD at xxx.com
Fri Dec 11 17:34:24 GMT 1998

Hello listees,

The Canadian in me is hoping this doesn't become out of control, which is all too easy with the anonymity of email, and the general anti-Americanism that many countries feel.  Canadians are all too easily mistaken for Americans but have the luxury of flashing a maple leaf passport at the world and saying, umm, what exactly were you saying?  And growing up on the US/Canadian border definitely teaches you to temper your attitude towards Americans because really, what is the point.  So there's McDonald's EVERYWHERE!  And they come over to our side to drink our higher alcohol content Canadian beer because our drinking age is lower, and they get loud and obnoxious and over run our city on the weekends...  But does it really, really matter?  Americans are not different than Canadians who are no different than the British who are no different...  We're all people.

ian wrote:
>pppps. Americans. I have included many UK references you
>may not
>understand. This was intentional as I constantly have to
>suffer your
>cultural imperialism. And you continue to bastardize both
>our verbal and
>body language with your "Whatevers" and your ever
>expanding waistline  plot
>to absorb the rest of the world.

Ian, many of us who are not Brits do understand UK references.  It's becoming a small, small world.  And you'll probably find that this list attracts Anglophiles, people who really enjoy, appreciate, like certain aspects of British culture.  As for the rest of what you said, it becomes a highly political/cultural debate that I may sometimes also lean towards when I'm feeling moody and want to change the world.  But I doubt they are plotting anything other than the impeachment of Clinton these days.

strange, this, especially from an englishman, history is so easily overlooked i suppose.
oh well, time for me to unsubscribe, i haven't the pretentiousness within me to continue

And Keith, I'm sure you don't need to unsubscribe.  You're on it for Belle & Sebastian, aren't you?  Why give up that?  We can't like everything everyone says all the time.  I didn't like something a certain listee said a month ago and I reacted, which resulted in a bunch of bullshit.  As HoneyPaul said, just hit DELETE, and poof, it's history.

As for B&S content?  I'll let you know if the new ep moves me after I pick it up tonight!  Really, if we need to talk about cultural imperialism, the British have cornered the market on good music...  at least for now (wink)

Alexandra