Sinister: US Cultural Imperialism

Chris Butler pants at xxx.com
Fri Dec 11 18:10:29 GMT 1998

Must be the TBlair syndrome.  I agree that U.S. does have a certain
sort of cultural imperialism going on, but that "imperialism" doesn't
do justice to the osmotic nature of the diffused culture.  The main
problem is that the U.S. dominates the pop entertainment markets and
in true capitalist nature propagates the product to get more consumers
worldwide.  Production quality is high (content not necessarily) in
the music/tv/film arenas, distribution is key, and both are barriers
to entry for foreign countries, but which are quickly catching up due
to reduced production costs w/ tech.  Other areas of imperialism include
the internet - supposedly 80% of all 1997 internet traffic flowed through
California.  Mega-mergers are positioning US-based companies to have
similar business impact.

However, I'd hasten to say that the US isn't interested in culturally
taking over the world, just making money off anyone who will buy
the products.  Capitalism is the motive, distribution is the means.

BTW, Britain's Blair is doing his best to encourage more American
behaviour as far as I can tell, in my two weeks in the UK recently.
And the Spice Girls and Prince Charles?  I don't think everything
is the US' fault...  thus the problem with the term imperialism.

note: didn't notice too many UK references in your email either.
should have thrown in more labour party propaganda. ;)  BTW, there
was a great segment on the BBC about this very issue - that show
where two people present arguments to the audience?  Called something
like "The House Believes"?  Issue was whether US culture was a good
thing.  House voted NO. Funny stuff.  Almost as funny as "Wordly Wise".

senor droolcup