Sinister: Shooting him would've been much easier...

Alasdair Cook MS1996 acook at xxx.uk
Tue Dec 15 15:00:57 GMT 1998

Why just today, Sister Disco wrote:

> One thing that worries me ever so
> slightly is the cover. Mister Horne is sitting on a COMMUNIST PARTY
> FLAG! Does this mean that Stuart Murdoch will be participating in
> Stalinist pop pograms? I think it does. What's more, the first song
> lasts about seven minutes, and Fidel Castro's speeches tend to last
> about seven hours!

I don't know if anyone else has read the amusing stories of the CIA's
attempts to get rid of Castro, but here they are anyway:

The CIA were desperate to get Castro out, but reckoned that nice easy
assassination with a bullet was too risky (and not enough fun). So they
came up with some quite novel plans, the first of which involved doping
his cigars before key speeches so that he would be dicredited after
delivering shambling monologues. Unfortunately all his speeches were
like that anyway, so no-one actually noticed and back the CIA went to
their Heath Robinson drawing board.

The second incredible plan was to put a powder in his shoes that would
make his beard fall out, the CIA believing that his beard was the source
of all his powers and without it he would be robbed of his masculinity
and charisma. Unfortunately there was one small flaw in the plan: it was
bollocks. The powder failed miserably and the CIA were sent homewards,
tae think again.

The final plan involved the agency's biggest cock-up. The plan was to
place exploding shells on the sea-bed near where Castro was known to
scuba-dive, and the shells worked all right: they killed the agents who
tried to position them.

Quite funny, I thought. Except for the people dying, which is very sad.
But still funny.

Also, someone (I can't remember who as I accidently deleted the mail)
asked what book they should read for their English class, and I suggest
Catch-22, which has loads in it you can write about and is very
funny/sad type stuff.

Which leads me onto what Mark Casarotto said:

> How come Catch 22 has never been discussed on this list? It seems the kind
> of book that many people will have read and some will have been profoundly
> affected by, myself more than anyone, and yet the archives reveal not a
> single mention

So, there, I've mentioned it. Discussions can be forthcoming, if you
want. I find Nately's whore very funny, jumping out of bushes with
knives and such like.

Bye now

Ally