Sinister: Not in the face! Not in the face!

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Wed Dec 16 13:41:16 GMT 1998

Hullo,
Jarkko FrXntilX writes...
> Ok, on to other stuff now. I've been thinking, all you guys seem to be
> quite big fans of you-know-what-band. Well, maybe we should have a
> discussion about the WORST songs from B&S. Maybe some kind of a "worst
> three songs by B&S" discussion? Hmmm, hard, I know. But I just listened
> to "You made me forget my dreams", and I thought it was a bit:
>
> a)
> Dull, musically and
>
> b)
> lyrically a bit daft.
>
> 'Cause I have a hunch that you guys CAN be objective about music, even
> about B&S... Some people have critisized "The gate" in here, but I cant
> really say a thing about it since I STILL don't have that new
> single/EP/whatever it is. Fooking recordstore, they're slow as hell...

	The reason no one has done this is because you can't be objective about
music, as it is...ta da, a subjective medium, like painting, pottery,
performance art, lithography, printmaking, mixtape-making, or e-mailing.
Well, all but that last one. You can sometimes find a lot of people who
like one song, or a lot of people who don't like a song, but there is
usually someone who likes each B&S song, even "You Made Me Forget My
Dreams." Just because someone is in the minority on something, it
doesn't make them wrong, at least in this case.
	For instance, I finally got the DJMARSBAR EP and I think that Modern
Rock Song is one of the most boring B&S songs ever. Now, as I've noted
in people's reviews, I'm not alone in disliking it. I don't feel that
just because I don't like it, it's objectively bad, as that's just
silly. I just don't happen to like it. To me it sounds like B&S covering
themselves, and doing it rather uninspired and long-winded. The lyrics
certainly are ace, though. Just a few differences between the studio and
the session versions.
	Okay, and whoever said The Gate was their worst song, it appears to
have set out quite a debate. It *does* sound a lot like Go Sailor (Tiger
Trap and T. Gosh were too punk to sound like that, most of the time) but
in a charmingly B&S way. Yes, the lyrics aren't the wonderfullest, and
yes, the chorus is kinda weak, but I still like the song a lot. It
reminds me of some solo material my friend did, except I like her voice
better than Isobel's (and 99% of the other humans on this planet) and
she doesn't have a small orchestra of Glaswegians backing her. Oh, and
the organ bits at the end of the song sound like they were nicked from
the amazing session version of Sleep the Clock Around. Nice to hear
them, finally, a shame they weren't on Sleep the Clock Around though, it
might have turned out a bit better.
	Gotta hurry, so this'll be quicker... I Know Where the Summer Goes,
nice surprise there, didn't expect it to sound so good. Live it wasn't
really amazing, but recorded it is a relaxing jaunt along the lines of
most of TWATTYBUS.
	And lastly, Slow Graffitti is wonderful, utterly. Somehow it even
surpasses the session, probably because you can hear all the parts. I
can't say a whole lot about it, and if I do I'll probaly be late for
work, so I'll just let that be all about it.
	I must say that without The Gate to break it up, this EP might grate on
me as sounding too similar, and might get me wondering if B&S had gotten
in a rut. Well, without the Gate and SLow Graffitti I guess.

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)