Sinister: Seasons Greetings And Goodbyes

Frank Yang fyang at xxx.ca
Thu Dec 17 14:19:00 GMT 1998

'lo listees

Just bidding everyone a happy holidays as I bugger off from work for a couple weeks
and unsubscribe so that the e-mail server doesn't crash from the zillion list
messages I'd be receiving, causing the LAN-support guy to investigate what was
causing all the traffic and discovering, horror of horrors, that I've spent the last
four months doing absolutely nothing except sending and receiving non-work related
e-mails... and no one needs to know that...

SO anyways, before I leave, I'd like to throw my two bits in on a number of topics:

major labels:
I don't believe major labels are inherently evil - indie may be fine for younger
bands, but as their fanbase grows, the smaller label may not be able to support the
band to the extent that a major label can.  Point in case - R.E.M. going from IRS to
Warner Bros.  They didn't have much choice, really, if they wanted to keep growing.
So as for B&S, the selfish part of me would like them to sign to a major so that, if
nothing else, I wouldn't be paying the ridiculous prices for their records that I
am... but having experienced the stellar service from Jeepster on the latest EP, I
may be all turned around on this...  So to sum up - I have no problem with major
labels.  Most of my favorite bands (B&S excepted) are on major labels, and are doing
quite well as far as I can see.  I think the key is getting the right deal with the
right people.

least favorite song:
Gotta say, I prefer StuM's compositions over StevieJ's.  If I were to pick songs off
of Arab Strap that maybe shouldn't have made the cut, in order, they'd be Seymour
Stein (depending on my mood, it can be painful to listen too), Space Boy Dream (not
Steve, I know) and then Chickfactor.  I think my main beef is Steve's lyrics seem
awkward and graceless compared to Stu's.  The music in Chickfactor is quite good,
rescuing it, but I don't really care for Seymour Stein on any level.  It's not a
Revolution #9-type of dislike, but still.  I hit skip a fair bit when I can be
bothered.
And I like Isobel's songs.  It could just be because she's got such a cute voice,
it's nigh-impossible to dislike.
As for the worst B&S songs being better than anything else out there, I disagree a
lot.  I find there's a lot of good music out there.  You just have to look for it.

The Black Sessions:
A little dated topic-wise, sure, but I just got mine.  Big props up to Alexandra -
muchos gracias.  Excellent stuff.  The Delgados stuff is quite good too, looks like
I'll be buying a few more items on Boxing Day...

The Black Hole:
The most terrifying Disney movie ever, as far as I'm concerned.  I wept when Old Bob
stayed to fight Maximillian, and when you saw a person's eyes in Maximillian's eye
slits, well that was just too much.  The whole film absolutely traumatized me, the
read-along-record book only a little less so.

So I think that about sums up for now.  Everybody have a good holidays - I'm living
vicariously through the lot of you.  I'll be monitoring your shenanigans via digest,
though.

And that's about it.  Seeya.

--
Frank Yang
"Happy holidays."

In my CD player:  The Sweet Hereafter OST