Sinister: oh deary me

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Thu Dec 17 19:48:08 GMT 1998

jake, do you have connections with Jeepster? business or otherwise???
i'm just intrigued, i just wondered why the 'me with my fan hat on'
thing... but whatever. Here's me with my very foolish looking (ab)normal
person's chapeau on:

if you think that Jeepster is really any different to any other record
label, maybe you need to remove the indie-blinkers. Jeepster is a record
COMPANY, and the job of a record company is to make money. How do you
think they manage to pay the members of their bands lovely plump
salaries, as well as those of the lovely folks like David and Katrina.
Personally i can't decide if Jeepster have been very shrewd or just very
very lucky with B&S... i wonder if the band had not had the sorts of
feelings about the way their records are produced and marketed, whether
Jeepster would have treated them any different to the other un-named
labels you pour so much scorn on. i wonder if someone at Jeepster just
had the sense to know that B&S would get big because, well they sounded
so fucking GREAT, and that in the long run the whole procedure for
putting out records the way they do and not doing interviews, well that
would all just help build the myth in the right places. It worked of
course, and maybe you'd need to be extremelly naive to think that isn't
a marketing strategy all by itself. Or just horribly cynical to think it
is. It's been three short years, and look: B&S CDs next to Billie, full
page colour ads in music press. And in case you were wondering, the full
page ad is to MAKE PEOPLE BUY THE RECORDS, which IS TO MAKE MORE MONEY.

i personally think Jeepster is weird... i mean, how could they be so
prescient in signing B&S and then be so full of myopia when signing the
mediocre at best Salako, and the abominable Snow Patrol? To me, those
two groups make EXACTLY the kind of second rate indie sounds that you
like to think all the 'evil' labels are touting.

i'm not damning Jeepster, i'm just saying that they're working in the
same system as anyone else in the business, and i don't think that the
folks in charge are naive enough to think they are doing anything else
but being a business. They might have started out as being more passion
and belief than anything else, but so did Creation. Sooner or later,
when success arrives, the goals change. It's fair enough. And i don't
think Jeepster has anything like the cred or kudos of early Creation,
simply because they don't have enough talent on their records.

> If you want a band that'll be on radio one all the time go and love
> gomez...........
> (or the divine comedy, Neil has just signed to parlophone for £1m, and just
> watch him become pish)

but the Divine Comedy have always been pish. And i get kids telling me
they heard B&S on radio one all the time, i just don't listen myself...
for obvious reasons (i'm old and have better things to do with my life).

keep the faith kids,

the duke

'all of our dreams are dying of overdoses'
Tangents On-Line http://www.tangents.co.uk
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK
tangent at lineone.net