Sinister: oh deary me

Keith Watson k.watson at xxx.uk
Thu Dec 17 20:33:11 GMT 1998

>And in case you were wondering, the full
>page ad is to MAKE PEOPLE BUY THE RECORDS, which IS TO MAKE MORE MONEY.

Quite right here really, and I also don't know of anyone who has received a
legal letter from the 'evil' major labels threatening action on a suggestion
that they're about to make a copy of an album. Certainly not on a record
that's not owned by the record label. We've had this argument time and time
again on this list, and it's just daft. If I thought major record labels
didn't care enough about music to put out good stuff, I'd have to dump about
80% of my record collection. It's daft believing majors are different from
indies. Often too, major labels pay employees for doing things like putting
a load of singles into envelopes and sending them off. One of my favourite
labels of the nineties was Mo'Wax, a label that's got Tory written all over
it. Every record's in the ridiculous sleeve and they all cost about 6 quid -
for singles. Plus they continually re-release almost identical things, that
are just different enough for people to want to shell out more money for
them, but it's really just skinning money off the fans.

Weejay, I suppose the reason JJ didn't think your letter was a joke was that
it bloody well didn't look like one. It's a pity indeed you say when it
things on the list come to this, and it'd be a pity if you decided you had
to leave on this basis. However, saying things like :

<<Oh Tag, I feel your pain, of course. But you know, bygons may be bygons
but this isn't a bygone, if you follow me. But don't. Alright, I forgive you
for being a waste of space. *Mwa* there, that's better isn't it? Now go play
with brad.>>

Does strike me as rather patronising too, and it's hard to believe that
you're surprised JJ didn't get the "joke". I'm glad you didn't mean it to
sound like that. But next time it might be better making it a spot clearer.

Cheers,
  Keith.