Sinister: ruling the school

Sandra Duric SANDRAD at xxx.com
Thu Dec 17 20:58:20 GMT 1998

The Duke rules!
i'm not damning Jeepster, i'm just saying that they're working in the same system as anyone else in the business, and i don't think that the folks in charge are naive enough to think they are doing anything else but being a business. They might have started out as being more passion and belief than anything else, but so did Creation. Sooner or later, when success arrives, the goals change. It's fair enough. And i don't think Jeepster has anything like the cred or kudos of early Creation, simply because they don't have enough talent on their records.
I was talking to a culture studies professor at the University of Chicago when all the B&S hype was happening in the States, just before their tour, and he said that the B&S rise to fame and glory would be a record company marketing executives wet dream, indie or major.  There's nothing like mystery to pique people's interests, and then of course, putting value on the music versus wasting time running around doing interviews, playing the media darling or fool, while frustrating, does validate them in the eyes of their fans.  Not to say they don't value their music.  So Jeepster's bloody cunning when it comes to marketing or just damn lucky.
This whole indie/major debate makes me think of label sluts - only Prada, only Gucci.  Granted, I thought it mattered and bought things just because it was on a particular label, and I still keep my eye on certain ones because it's an old habit to break, but eventually, you realize how snobby you're being, and it doesn't really matter - good music is to be found anywhere, on any label.
Off topic though - Frank! I tried to email you but was rejected (your Lan administrator is on to you!).  I was going to say if you like the Delgados, get the Cinerama!  Just trust me on this.
Even more off topic - it's cold and pretty and little snowy icicle things everywhere and santa's elves are making all the car door locks freeze and everyone's getting excited because it'll be a "White Christmas" and I'm thinking, time to move to the Bahamas!  Screw rosy winter cheeks!
Back on topic - Carly and I will be spinning the new ep Friday night so if you can, tune in.  10pm - midnight, Detroit time on CJAM 91.5 on
www.uwindsor.ca/cjam/music_links.html
Merry, merry...
alexandra