Sinister: Taking off those indie blinkers

jake kenny at xxx.uk
Thu Dec 17 21:15:23 GMT 1998

Hi there list,

Having been so well beaten in the playgroung fight when Sir, (aka Duke came
in) and broke up the fight at the same time as pushing me to the floor (no,
smut content zero, so this ain't going no further), i though that I'd wipe
the blood from my nose, the dirt from my knees and stand up in assembly and
explain........

We'll connections with jeepster, as I said before I gave a hand with the
mail outs and ep mailings, hardly much but I met the crew and saw how
things work.
I've also worked with their distribution company, and therefore during this
time dealt with other indie labels, such as skint and creation.

Jeepster is still very small, just the 3 people in the office. David,
Katrina and Mark Jones. David and Katrina we know about, and Mark is the
man. He signed them (just go and read Stu D's ink polaroids) and although
the label is still out to make money there is still a passion unlike those
other labels, with fans such as David and Katrina in the company, they are
always going to get a true opinion.

>From what I've seen the no interview policy was Stuart Murdoch's idea, and
it is him with the masterplan rather than the label. That is why they
signed to jeepster for less money, they knew they could play it as the
wanted to, ineligable singles as they like, and gigs as and when they
wanted. Don't you think that if Jeepster had utter control, and the urge
for money that they've been accused of then they would have lost a track?
Chart single, more airplay, more sales, more money. Simple as that, but Stu
didn't want that, he isn't driven by money and thus nor are Jeepster, he
has control.

As for the other signings, Mark has the same belief in them as he did with
Belle and Sebastian, it just happens that they aren't ever going to make it
in quite the same way as B&S. Alan McGee signed Oasis, and then signed the
dismal 3 colours red and hurricane#1, he had belief in them, in much the
same way as Mark has with his acts.

It is a money machine, it is a business, but there is still passion.  The
difference is there between Jeepster and Creation. Trust me. Trust them ,
they'll do their best for the bands,

keeping the faith
jake