Sinister: Re: sinister-digest V2 #565

david kitchen - jeepster shop at xxx.uk
Fri Dec 18 05:57:19 GMT 1998

> > Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:07:04 PST
> > From: "Mark Cerzinski" <mcerzinsky at xxx.com>
> > Subject: Sinister: Me And The Major
> >
> > Ok People,
> >
> > Here's the deal. I think it's starting to get plainly obvious that
> > Jeepster just aren't pushing Belle and Sebastian hard enough or far
> > enough. It's ludicrous that they've been getting away without doing any
> > proper interviews and not having their photos in the music press. We're
> > their fans and we deserve better. Would it really have been so difficult
> > to prune a track from the Modern Rock Song EP so that we could at least
> > get excited listening to the new chart rundown? And even dreaming about
> > a slot on "Top of the Pops" for the best band in Britain would be better
> > than nothing, no hope at all. I really think B&S should sign to a major
> > label now, before the potential they have is lost. They would be
> > promoted better, have better tours in proper, established venues and
> > their records would be easier to find and buy. Let's face it, B&S are a
> > Radio 2 band. Grannies listen to Radio 2 and they buy their CDs in
> > Woolies and Asda. They need a major label.
> >
> >         Thanks for listening,
> >                 Love,
> >               Mark xxx

sorry if my holiday time delay means someone else has answered this, but mark :)
don't you realise that it's the band that decide the things you're moaning about?
don't you think that jeepster wouldn't like more gigs?

i personally want the whole world and it's granny to have heard their music and to
have had the chance to realise how life-affirming it is, but if the band choose
not to promote themselves, and if the band choose not to tour, what would you have
us do? i suppose we could put cardboard cut-outs in venues up and down the
country, or start a campaign against the chart people for silly rules that make us
exempt. but you know what? we're actually happy with the way things are going, and
more important than the band touring forever is to have some more music to love,
and i personally wouldn't mind never pushing the band to do promotions if it
helped safeguard their prolific song-writing. i'd much rather have more music than
more sales, and another thing. aren't you the guy that will turn round and hate
the band once they 'sell-out'?

a label isn't serving fans by exploiting a band, it's only serving itself.
jeepster will never do anything the band doesn't want to, but if the band change
their mind about what they're doing, then we'll support them through whatever they
want to do then too.

jeepster, serving the band and fans by helping to create great music without
ripping you off and lining our pockets.

david kitchen

--

"i'd been in music for five years and if someone had told me that the record label
would take my money to pay for those fucking posters at the side of the road and