Sinister: An ink polaroid involving PRINCE!

Mick McMick bp224996 at xxx.edu
Sat Dec 19 17:55:01 GMT 1998

Yes, yes, yes,
	I thought, since someone was complaining for lack of content involving
that "short twat" Prince, I'd share an ink polaroid from a couple of
nights ago...
	Well I had gone over to my friend Latelle's house. Latelle must be in
his 30's now, but he was a DJ in college in the 80's, and he has a room
filled to the brim with records.
	I'm sitting there on the left, with the cardigan and glasses, and
Latelle is the jolly-looking bearded fellow in shorts. Most of the
picture is made up of hundreds, possibly more than a couple thousand
records. They spill out of their snug spaces in the wall and into even
piles on the floor, placed in an organized, if haphazard fashion. Upon a
part of the wall which descends from the ceiling, there are a couple of
singles tacked up there. A The The record, something from the
Undertones, an old Rolling Stones 45. In the right corner, behind
Latelle there is a shelf with 6 or 7 gracefully aging turntables, some
hiding inside of their respective nooks and crannies. If you squint, you
can just make out a couple other pieces of stereo paraphenalia, and the
odd CD lying about carelessly. You probably can't make out that the
platter on the turntable is spinning, but the tonearm is down, so you
can assume that something is playing. At the moment this was taken,
Latelle and I seem to have burst into a fit of burbling laughter, and my
eyes are closed and my mouth is unattractively gaping open, while
Latelle is laughing a bit more gracefully and clutching his belly. The
record playing is indeed a Tom Jones 12" single from back in the 80's
some time. The 12" is actually some other group, and only features Tom
Jones' vocal stylings. They are covering Prince's "Kiss."

	I'll go ahead and do another one of these, as it's fun...

	This one is taken from behind Latelle and I. You can make out our backs
and hair quite well. There is a tower of cassette tapes of enormous
height and breadth. It appears to be built into the wall, some 2 meters
high and 4 or 5 across. Spaced throughout in surgically precise
alphabetical order are an army of cassettes, all with intricately
hand-made names on the spine, often spattered in a bit of paint.
Latelle's hand is extended and he is removing a cassette whose spine is
entirely black, with the words Durutti Column spelled out in white. I am
already holding a precariously balanced stack of some 4 or 5 tapes,
while gingerly preparing for the addition of one more.
	I found that Latelle is rather a large Smiths fan, and he also has
quite a fondness for Felt, the Go-Betweens, and Orange Juice, so next
visit I'm going to bring him something of B&S', as he's never heard
them. Perhaps my next conversion is afoot!

 /"\_/"\_/"\   Mick McMick - bp224995 at ohiou.edu - ICQ#5056758
 \         /   Sandcastle Records - (same e-mail for now)