Sinister: something beginning with "S"

Mphintz at xxx.com Mphintz at xxx.com
Sun Dec 20 01:48:56 GMT 1998

	It's been a while, hasn't it?  I have been here all along, sitting in the
back of the room sipping my tea.  I was waiting to speak in turn, but no one
asked me.  Speaking out of turn isn't rude; it's um... shyness liberation.

	The NYC Sinister meetup last week went well; some new faces turned up.
(Though it would have been nice to seem some more of the older ones too).  I
thought I was catching a cold that evening so I attempted to cure it with
paella, sangria, gin and tonic, and cigarettes.  Oddly, all of that "medicine"
did not do much, and I just became more ill.  Perhaps the "feed a cold"-adage
means that I should drink rum and cokes and eat couscous and chocolates.
(Don't ask the cats for health advice; they just want to keep you at home to
be their slave).

<<re:  Mickey Mouse... I mean, Mick McMick and others disappointed in the new
ep>>
	I too was a bit "ho-hum" about it, perhaps due to already having two of the
songs on tape of over a year.  But, I couldn't sleep the other night and sat
at the computer, with only the screen for light to avoid disturbing my
roommate.  I was listening to the ep on my discman, and then, in the middle of
the night, it all made sense.  Listen to the opening bass notes in "Modern
Rock Song," or the cello line in "Slow Graffiti".  The music can't do it all
for you; you have to give something back in return.

	I have also been a bit disturbed with frighteningly obsessive love of Belle
and Sebastian on the list lately.  As much as the band mean to me personally,
it is just a band at the end of the day.  Taking the music at face value won't
lead to much; a little thinking and a critical eye are important.  I hate to
say it, but if the band were to go lardy or lame, I would have to drop them
(though I doubt I could do it straight away).  Let's not rest on our laurels.
The band, including Isobel, are regular people, no better or worse than anyone
else.

<<Re:  having a hit crap record or poorselling masterpiece>>
	Funny thing is that some people still believe and have faith in what they
produce.  Money and fame would be nice, but a clear conscience and sleeping
well at night are still more important to some.  That Stu M. and the band have
been able to achieve their success on their own terms is a testament to this.
Guilty feet have no rhythm, I have heard.

			Living and loving
				Matthew