Sinister: beware: depressing and may ruin your health

Julien Boeldieu grabutcho at xxx.com
Mon Dec 21 09:40:30 GMT 1998

Dear list,

*** Cynthia, the californian dancing queen, a écrit :

> I really wanted to say, that this world is falling apart and
> I've noticed that no one is talking about it. With my
> friends I've talked, but not on the list, not at work, why is
> that ? It's apocalyptic. I don't mean like just getting out of
> bed and somehow not knowing where you are... I mean, Clinton,
> and the land mines of Bosnia, and the bombings in Iraq.
**********

And unemployment, and poverty, and pollution, and diseases, and social
unequalities, and unsatisfied social needs, and alienation and
exploitation, and any kind of opressions (like homophobia and racism)
and unjustices, and intolerance, and individualism, and massacres in
Algeria, and wars and genocids, and people who are starving
everywhere, and money that rules anything, and love that breaks
down... Endless list !
Maybe it's because we're thinking after all that the world is not
going so wrong... Or maybe no one cares (which would be rather
alarming !)... Or maybe we're trying to see only the brighter sides of
this world, especially during these Christmas holidays (which is not
so easy)... Or maybe we're feeling so disarmed that we can't find a
single word to express our thoughts and feelings... I don't know.
Personally I think Bill Clinton is a kind of psychopath -- or at least
a criminal. But we all know that he'll never be judged for these
bombs... And what can we do actually ? Isn't that frightening ? Do you
know that we're the first generation ever that will have a lower
standard of life than their parents ? Sometimes I'm rather impressed
by the passivity of my generation (or is it resignation ?), whereas
there are thousand more reasons to revolt today than 30 years ago...
Mankind has already one foot in the grave ! We can be smiling and nice
to anyone around us, but that won't change anything. What the world
needs is a radical medication !

Oh well. Sorry for the pessimistic tone of this message... It's
probably an effect of what is called the pre-millenium tension !

Joyeux Noel à tous !

Love,
Julien
==