Sinister: poetry and all round good cheer

vlass at xxx.com vlass at xxx.com
Mon Dec 21 19:26:17 GMT 1998

well.. it's around that time of the year when people start going home for
the holidays and thus unsubscribing from the list so i figured there
probably wasn't a poetry parrot for this monday? or maybe there is one but i
haven't received the latest digest yet (my holiday interruption means
switching from regular list to digest -- otherwise my parents start asking,
"what is this 'sinister' thing sending you mail? are you in a cult?") sooo,
i was at the library today and i found this poem to share with all of you..
i think it's darn sweet, and since i don't post enough to warrant a poetry
parrot nomination, i decided to just go ahead and send it..

by Frank O'Hara

Having a Coke with You

is even more fun than going to San Sebastian, Irun, Hendaye, Biarritz, Bayonne
or being sick to my stomach on the Traversera de Gracia in Barcelona
partly because in your orange shirt you look like a better happier St. Sebastian
partly because of my love for you, partly because of your love for yoghurt
partly because of the fluorescent orange tulips around the birches
partly because of the secrecy our smiles take on before people and statuary
it is hard to believe when I'm with you that there can be anything as still
as solemn as unpleasantly definitive as statuary when right in front of it
in the warm New York 4 o'clock light we are drifting back and forth
between each other like a tree breathing through its spectacles
and the portrait show seems to have no faces in it at all, just paint
you suddenly wonder why in the world anyone ever did them

i look at you and i would rather look at you than all the portraits in the world
except possibly for the -polish rider- occasionally and anyway it's in the Frick
which thank heavens you haven't gone to yet so we can go together the first time
and the fact that you move so beautifully more or less takes care of Futurism
just as at home I never think of the -Nude Descending a Staircase- or
at a rehersal a single drawing of Leonardo or Michelangelo that used to wow me
and what good does all the research of the Impressionists do them
when they never got the right person to stand near the tree
when the sun sank
or for that matter Marino Marini when he didn't pick the rider as carefully
as the horse
it seems they were all cheated of some marvellous experience
which is not going to go wasted on me which is why I'm
telling you about it

i hope you liked it.. merry christmas :)

teri xx

your eyes are long vermont roads/with a tacky song on the radio/and your
eyes are toothless young men/in tenessee in the rain again/ the magnetic
fields/ http://members.tripod.com/~meltingsnow/