Sinister: Call me crazy

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.net
Mon Dec 21 20:26:35 GMT 1998

you're crazy. you're all crazy.

> I couldn't agree more!!! There's a line that can be drawn straight from
> the Beatles through Radiohead and to B & S.

i know it's more or less entirely subjective, but, um, you know the
lineage described here baffles me. I know people all make their own
cultural connections based on their experiences and inputs, and i'm no
different, but, well, really, you think there's something connecting
radioheed and B&S?? As far as i know Stuart has never been a spoilt brat
who is so far up his own arse that he can't tell the difference between
poetry and self-agrandised bullshit. No offence to any radioheed fans, i
mean... well actually okay, loads of offence to radioheed fans because
that's Pop: Drawing lines in the sand and saying 'that's pish' and 'that
isn't'.

Radioheed are traditional Rock creatures, bred on the equation of
self-loathing and obvious suffering equals great art, an equation which
is, quite frankly, bollocks. I honestly tried to listen to that ok
computer record. Really, i did, but i couldn't. I just couldn't because
it sounded so, so OLD and DULL and everything i hate about Rock. B&S are
everything i LOVE about what i call Pop (read the archives or read a
book), and it's so far away from what radioheed stand for it hurts. See,
B&S are not about wallowing in self-pity or in self-importance. The only
'stances' they make are ones that are natural, stand up and out because
they don't shout or use the too esay and tired rock histrionics peddled
by the filth. I mean that artistically as well as
(potentially)politically too... B&S make me want to kiss the skies, make
me grin irrationally, make me do such dumb things you wouldn't believe.
They also make me want to CREATE and be involved and add beauty to the
world: beauty that is AFFIRMATIVE and glorious, and utterly in vain but
so what? Radioheed just sound like they want you to sleep, or write
tenth rate poetry or be 'worthy' or something. Fuck worthy. Radioheed
ooze boredom and B&S ooze humanity. They are a lot sexier too.

As for the beatles, well, um, isn't it just TOO EASY to use them as some
'year zero' of line-drawing? particularly when talking about
contemporary artists, because even IF B&S are/were influenced by the
beatles, it's unlikely that they were experienced 'first hand'. In other
words, it's a distillation of the beatles through someone like, i dunno,
whoever in the 80s sounded like the beatles and talked about them a lot.
Someone crap probably. i'm not up on the beatles see... but it's like
saying that B&S are like The Byrds, only that would be seen through
Orange Juice, with expectations of the Byrds coloured by the views of
the OJs because they were fans of the OJs first and they introduced The
Byrds. This is getting confusing... I'm just arguing against real sense
and validity behind these perceived time-based lineages i guess. It's
all looped and eliptical, not straight.

and the bottom line is i hate the beatles and radioheed as much as i
love B&S, which is A LOT.

keep the faith,

the duke

'all of our dreams are dying of overdoses'
Tangents On-Line http://www.tangents.co.uk
PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK
tangent at lineone.net