Sinister: acronyms and such

sam jacob sjacob at xxx.edu
Tue Dec 22 15:59:17 GMT 1998

someone wrote:

The next "too ridiculous for words" point is the sudden rash of people
complaining about the acronyms.  It's very simple: TBWTAS is a lot
shorter than The Boy With The Arab Strap.  And then it became TWATTYBUS
and TIGGERJAMMIES because it's *funny*, something that this list used to
be.  I'm sure that it annoys people.  There've been time when the names
have become so bastartized that I can't even figure out what song is
being discussed.  But it's all in fun...just let it go, please.

well... I was going to keep quiet about this, but i might as well say
something short. Mailing lists are famous for these acronyms and nicknames
etc. But, sometimes they can feel like a way for keeping newbies on the
outside and "old skool" mailing list folk "in the know." If these acronym
titles are so simple, why can't we include them in the FAQ about the
mailing list, so people coming in will have a clue as to what they mean.
Here is an example of a silly misunderstanding. When i joined the list, i
new right away that TBWTAS meant The Boy with the Arab Strap (duh!) and
assumed that TWATTYBUS (or whatever) was the same thing, but funnier.

I however thought that Tiggerjam referred to TIJAMRS. But than i thought
that Tiggerjam referred to Tigermilk. And now Teejammers refers to This is
Just a Modern Rock Song. right? or not? Anyway, it wasn't that simple to
me, and i am assuming a couple others were thrown off... I don't think
mentioning them in the FAQ would render the jokes unfunny, just because
they are explained.