Sinister: acronyms and such

Clarence Tsui, Hong Chee clarence at xxx.com
Wed Dec 23 09:11:41 GMT 1998

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, sam jacob wrote:

:Why is it that when I tell anyone anywhere that I like "pop" music, they
:automatically start trying to make me listen to their Mariah Carey and
:Celine Dion records (I swear, this actually happened once at work). :Maybe
it's because I'm 28.

I think it's about how people defines 'pop'. Most would pigeonhole
everything cheesy, plasticky and such as pop, thus Carey, Braxton, Boyzone,
Pet Shop Boys, Cardigans etc etc (not that I hate all of them - I like PSB
actually.)

People, however, tend to forget that teh word 'pop' comes from 'popular'.
Call me a naive fool, but I reckon that rock'n'roll is a sub-genre of pop
instead of vice versa...... I'm actually unapologetic of being a pop-lover.
Belle & Sebastian is good pop music - that's what I would say. Carey and her
ilk are bad popsters...

Merry Kerisimasi everyone.

Clarence