Sinister: does that tickle your whippet, sir?

Kevan Cooke fatslug at xxx.com
Wed Dec 23 11:02:18 GMT 1998

Hello all you happy bunnies,

Alix, I'm sure that whoever stole your walkman was aware of your fine
taste in music and was really after the tape inside, so maybe you could
take it as a kind of compliment.

I have to admit to a lingering fondness for Radiohead, although it is the
kind of lingering fondness that you can get after you've seen a band play
in a pub a couple of years before they started playing in stadiums.  I
probably wouldn't like them much otherwise, and I don't really see any
connection with B&S.

I know this topic is getting a bit tired now, but as it's so quiet at the
moment I'll throw in my thoughts on the Major Label debate.

I work in the drinks industry where the same principles apply.  All those
fizzy alcoholic drinks on the shelves aren't meant to taste great, they
are meant to taste palatable to as many people as possible.  Then it's
up to the marketing people to make you want to buy them.

Likewise the big record labels don't want anything with too strong a taste,
niche markets are not for them, they want something they can put a lot of
cash behind and push to a mass market.  Usually something inoffensive and
bland.  That's why we love Robbie, it's all in the image that the marketing
people push, the music is inconsequential at best.

Independent labels will always rely on marketing too, but on a smaller scale.
They can take bigger risks because they are not putting such a huge financial
investment into each release.  That's why you will invariably find the more
interesting stuff on indies.

If that was too simplistic then I'm sorry, I have a simple mind and things
come out that way.

Hugs to Lesley Jo,

Kevan
The Fat Slug