Sinister: When Keith Got Stuck Up The Chimney

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Dec 24 13:18:11 GMT 1998

Duke wrote:

my suggestion is go and reinvent the world to your own
>taste and have a laugh at the folks who don't understand why you say
you
>love POP and who frankly couldn't give a toss anyway. I love Pop. But
>you aleady knew that.

No sooner does Duke mention his pet pop theories than two more trusted
and valued listees bugger off. What's the appeal of Boston? I've been
there, and the best thing about it is the fantastic warehouses with
sculpture of swans on top that you can see from the train as it chugs
slowly into town. It's very flat, and surrounded by cabbages, and
people drink huge quantities of real ale. I imagine it's a lot like
Preston, only in Lincolnshire. Which is no bad thing, I hasten to add.
Just in case.

Pop, pop, pop! Ever since the early days of christianity, young people
have spent the festive season pondering the meaning of this
delightfully onamatopeepoopotic expression. I have looked it up in the
dictionary, because that's the kind of tedious buffoon I am, and this
is what I found:

Pop - 1862. Colloq. abbrev. of popular concert

Heavens to Betsy! What fools we have made of ourselves! In Spanish it
means music derived from black musical styles and British folklore
music, which narrows it down quite a lot if you think about it.
Anyway, I'm going to opt for "popular concert" and I urge you all to
do the same. It makes sense for "Top of the Pops" at any rate, the
upper reaches of popular concerts - spot on! Here's another
definition:

Pop singers, pop groups - those whose records sell in large numbers
and who are most popular on radio, TV and in discotheques

Top of the pops - disc, etc which (calculated by sales) is most
popular during a given period of time.

What utter poppycock! More pop pondering is required.

Keiths are notriously irreplaceable in pop circles. Imagine the Stones
without Keith, and reel back in horror at the sight of The WHO without
Moon the Loon. Not to mention the obvious decline in Mike Batt's
Wombles after Keith Emerson left to pursue a solo career with Emerson
Lake and Palmer. So it comes as no surprise that I find myself pining
for our own Keith Watson. Keith, it's gonna be a blue blue Christmas
without you, Big Tackle.

This morning I stroked a donkey and a baby cow. Beat that, popular
concert pickers! And while we're on the subject, don't despair if you
fail miserably to get a Christmas snog, New Year's Eve is just around
the corner, and everyone gets a snog then, regardless of physical
repulsiveness.

Sister Disco