Sinister: where's all the holiday cheer gone?

Sandra Duric SANDRAD at xxx.com
Thu Dec 24 13:49:46 GMT 1998

Christmas eve all over the world and I keep wondering why we bother when so many people are grumpy.  I've been wondering that as I watch all the shoppers shove each other away to get at that last sparkly swizzle stick they don't really need but just want.  I've really been wondering that as certain listees seem to slam (yes, I'm exaggerating!) certain other listees for no apparent reason other than to post something clever, funny or sarcastic depending on their mood or personality.  Who am I to say anything about it?  I don't know you guys (well, some I do, and those I really like).  All I know is that there are a helluva lot of people out there who have more in common than they realize, and it's not just the we adore Belle&Sebastian frenzy.

I keep thinking about Lesley Jo who's feeling bad for doing exactly what everyone else on this list seems to enjoy doing, i.e. expressing their thoughts and opinions.  Maybe some sugarcoat it in sweet little images/polaroids, others have a verbal wit and verve you can only envy and some just say it straight from the heart, I hope.  And then this morning as I'm getting excited about leaving work for a holiday in Toulouse, I see my own words come back at me and I'm briefly perplexed:

Alexandra wrote :

I might be if I wasn't nursing a red wine hangover from a tree trimming
party we threw last night for all of our friends.

Someone wrote:

Is it just me or is this just the most piss-poor excuse for a party in
the world ever ?  Tree-trimming ??

I don't need an excuse to party....I ROCK.  I also own three radiohead
albums.

Oh right, cute, I think.  So you rock.  Maybe I pop.  What's the difference?  And I doubt there is a single piss poor thing about throwing a party for all your friends who end up having a good time, irregardless of one of the hosts passing out.  A party's a party, man, and the world needs more of them.  And for some weird reason, I think this has more to do with my comment about Radiohead's lyrics than tree trimming.  So I do think it's just you.  As for Radiohead, I own all their albums, I like some of their music, I've even partied with Tim and Colin a few times, but I don't think they are god's gift to the modern rock world.  Gimme The Piper at the Gates of Dawn or Loveless or Sgt. Peppers or Harvest or IYFS or anything by Nick Drake, and then we'll talk about gifts.

So on this setting the record straight note, all you sinisterines, party til you pass out, have a wonderful Xmas and New Year.  I'm unsubscribing for the holidays.

Special holiday cheer to all of you I've talked to privately.  You know who you are.  I'll keep in touch.

Alexandra