Sinister: Re: girlfriend in a coma.

Mike Newman mike at xxx.uk
Sun Dec 27 22:20:43 GMT 1998

 wrote:

> okay, i know this douglas coupland thread is pretty much beat...  but can
> someone please tell me exactly what that book was *about*?  was there supposed
> to be a connection between the book ('girlfriend in a coma') and the band?
> are the smiths part of the book's plot in any way, shape, or form?  i am
> confused.....

De-lurking as this list is quiet and there is no danger of getting caught!

There are a number of Smiths references throughout the book (read it and spot
them - I'm too drunk to remember!), but essentially beyond the title, there
isn't much connection.

Plot in summary is that a guy dies of leukemia. Later, a girl from the same
group of friends goes into a coma. She awakes 17 years later and has apocalyptic
visions/visitations from said guy. Its all a bit of a mid-90's fairy story about
the end of the world, done in the inimitable Coupland way I know and love!

Great book however. Why do all Dougie's works make me want to live in Vancouver,
however grim he makes it sound?

Mike

--
Visit Traumatone/Great Northern Electrics on the web
at http://www.geocities.com/~greatnorthern/