Sinister: In the new old fashioned way

Reid Dossinger reid.dossinger at xxx.com
Mon Dec 28 17:27:36 GMT 1998

Ahoy-hoy, Sinisterines.  I hope Santa was kind to you all, even those of
you who don't call him "Santa" (he only lets his friends call him
that).  My friends and I laughed and cried over the fact that our most
desired Christmas presents are now kitchen wares.  It's so goddamn
domestic, but when you get right down to it, it's what we need most.
After comparing excitement over salad spinners and knife sets, we were
practically forced to go out drinking until the early hours, just to
remind ourselves that we hadn't gotten weren't quite ready for the
rocking chairs.

So in houses that get a ton of magazines and newspapers, there is a
deluge of "Critics picks for the year" articles, so I spent a good long
time over my holidays reading them.  The Boy With The Arab Strap didn't
appear in *any* of the ones that I read.  Which, I've decided, is good.
Not that I would totally *mind* having them on those lists, but I like
the idea of B&S staying out of the spotlight, ONLY because I like the
fact that they quietly make their albums and EP's, relatively free from
intense pressure and media scrutiny.  A rash of "one of the best albums
of the year!" could only lead to "next big thing" articles, which I
(selfishly, I'll admit) don't want.

I've never heard the Pastels before, but am curious, and I saw their
album "Illumination" in the store, used for five bucks.  Should I pick
it up?  Would it make a good impression, or is it one of those "it's a
good album but it shouldn't be the first thing you hear by them"
albums?  Please help a confused little boy.

So now we're thankfully past Christmas and onto New Years, which is my
favorite holiday of the year.  My wish for the future is that New Years
Day becomes THE celebrated holiday, with the presents and the cheer and
all that.  It's perfect, as least for most western countries: it's not
religious (aside from being aligned with the Christian calendar) and
it's not a celebration of a war or an invasion, it's not for one person
and has nothing to do with being in love.  How great is it that there's
this holiday that can't lead to stupid arguments and "anti-New Years"
parties?  And how do we treat it?  By getting drunk the night before.
To me, it's all about starting over again.  So with that in mind, I wish
you all a Happy New Year.

Golly, how'd that mistletoe get there,
    Reid