Sinister: Pastels/Tindersticks in relation to B&S

EvKatz at xxx.com EvKatz at xxx.com
Wed Dec 30 01:52:20 GMT 1998

First replies from a new member to the list:

PASTELS -- I agree with whoever said they all sounded the same and weren't
anything special.  They've got a new "remix" album out which for some reason I
bought, and while the songs on it do sound different, it's just a lot of
looping/scratching/sampling stuff, which I'm getting real bored by.

TINDERSTICKS -- Both albums have their strong songs.  They've also got a live
disc out they did with a full orchestra that came as a bonus disc with the
second album, and then was sold separately -- I think.  I actually think that
would be the best starting point.  But -- be warned.  They're a band I allways
wanted to like more than I've ever been able to.  While they use a lot of
similar instrumentation, I find the Tinderstick's vocalist hard to listen to.
He sings in a very deep, dreary monotone -- the opposite of B & S, who manage
to be touching but also uplifting, in part because of the vocals.  I would
also submit that the lyrics don't touch B&S's.  And, that on B&S's best songs,
the melodies are much stronger.  Unfortunately, I don't put a lot of songs on
TBWTAS in that category.  But I'm sure that's a point that's been hashed over
quite a bit on this list.

Evan Katz(newbie)