Sinister: Mister Grimsdale! Consolidated Dairies!*

PJMiller pjmiller at xxx.es
Wed Dec 30 14:41:27 GMT 1998

Magnetic Megan, I'm not bored at the moment. It has been known to
happen though. Today I am writing to report on the exciting
rebroadcast of the Black Session on Spanish National Radio 3 last
night. It was shit, a complete load of bollocks. They had a half hour
slot, so one might have expected them to do a bit of editing, select
the best bits and erase the embarrassing gaps. Too much trouble.
Instead they played the first thirty minutes and talked bollocks over
the gaps. Now I know lots of people talk bollocks about Belle and
Sebastian, some people even write bollocks about Belle and Sebastian,
but none of it could compare to the bollocks beamed out last night.
Apparently Stuart Murdoch has been taken prisoner by literature and
thinks that the world is too antiseptic to fall in love. Pah! He could
have fooled me with that look he had on his face when I saw him
scurrying away from the public lavatories in the park the other day!
I'm sure he had a beamer. But I digress. The only good thing about the
radio extravaganza was the chance to hear "I Know Where the Summer
Goes" (I sang that bit), which was originally obscured by the latest
developments in the Monica Lewinsky scandal. It was good. It struck me
that "The Wrong Girl" is a bit like "The Laughing Gnome" by David
Bowie. Or it could be, if they put their minds to it.

I saw "The Boy With the Arab Strap" in the ethnic music department of
my local superstore, no doubt because of the word "arab". Didn't think
of that, did you Murdoch? Ha! And now you've lost a potential
customer, or gained one, depending. Well, no you haven't, because we
put it in the right place, next to the Beastie Boys and Bob Dylan. B
for Bob, it's like that here.

Who would like to laugh at me, and point and call me rude names? Now
would be a good time. I bought some Cuban music, in a desperate
attempt to like ten types of music before New Year. It's a double CD
and I got CD one twice. Heavy bummer, not least because CD two
contains a version of "There's Only One Derby County" the unofficial
Cuban national anthem.

All right Megan, guilty as accused.

I don't know what a Romulant is, I'm afraid. But I would like to
rediscover The WHO's Quadrophenia all over again. But what I would
most like to
rediscover all over again is the two albums on one CD Gram Parsons "GP
/ Grievious Angel" thing - it always makes me inexplicably jealous
when I see it in shops, waiting for someone to buy it. Strange but
true.

Here's a question from the trivia game I have the pleasure of
translating:

What did Jimi Hendrix do at the 1967 Monterrey Festival?

a) burn his guitar
b) nothing, he wasn't there
c) hold a meeting in favour of the Ku Klux Klan

Goodbye,

Sister Disco