Sinister: a virtual virgin

Declan and Noren Hynes hynesdj at xxx.ie
Wed Dec 30 19:03:39 GMT 1998

salutations listees (is that the proper grammar?)
  everyone has to start somewhere so i'm taking the plunge with my first
post to the list, my cold hands are trembling as i type. I took Pauls
advice and studied the list for a few days, and reading all the posts has
filled me with a nice sense of community, the list does seem to extend
further than the music and the band. Belle and Sebastian seem to have
created their own sub-culture. I don't think anyone who has fallen for
belle and sebstian can sniff nonchanantly and say "yeh, they're alrigh'".
Fans are steeped in them. I think it's sort of a comsuming passion. I first
heard of them over a year ago when i got sent a tape from Soozy Cole (i'm
not sure if she subscribes, if thats then case CHEERS SOOZ) I must say i
was smitten, and still am. I don't know of very many other fans in Dublin,
but i'm sure they exist. And i must say i was surprised to see so many
american fans, i felt like i should have known of this gem of a band before
people in the U.S., purely out of geographical snobbery. But theres no
place for that, Belle and Sebastian are magic, and everyone deserves magic
in their lives.
  in relation to Blakes post about that point........
where the music is incredibly fresh, new and exciting. You know, before it
becomes something you've had for a while. Don't you wish you could
rediscover an album all over again?
             ........ I totally agree Blake, in fact i often think about
it. But not just in relation to music, to everything. What if you never had
to read the same thing twice, walk down the same street more than once,
ever. Taking it to the extremes, even not having to see the same person
more than once. But i think without familiarity we'd all go slowly insane,
and an old cherished CD, one that sounded so fresh and sparkly the first
time you heard it, can still be new and exciting, it's all relative to ones
state of mind. But in contradiction to myself, one album i'd love to
rediscover is ziggy stardust.
well, those were my first few tentative steps into the realm of
sinisterness.
i've lots more to say, but maybe i shouldn't overstay my welcome, like an
eager beaver.
and theres the small fact that my attic is bloody freezing.
slan
finn