Sinister: A whole new set of friends

Robert Morris winboog at xxx.net
Thu Dec 31 04:16:52 GMT 1998

 Greetings all,

       As we sit in our respective caves preparing to get ready to party
like it's 1999, I'm going to launch my initial assault on the Sinister
list. I initially thought it was a little snooty to tell newbies to study
up for a week or more before posting some inane question. After I decided
to stay and find out just what kind of elitist jerks resided on this list,
I learned to love each and every one of you, and glad I waited more than a
week before posting.

    I had the worst Christmas ever, there was a huge bombshell dropped
during dinner with my Dad and his soon to be third ex-wife about some
shenanigans going on with him and my ex-girlfriend. What ?!?!?!? Anyway....
I was feeling incredibly miserable the day after, like I didn't have a
friend in the world, completely betrayed by everyone I had ever known. I
even went to the rehearsal space with a friend and played some really
obnoxious Faces covers, which didn't help a lick. I had a solitary dinner
of Pad Thai and Tom Ga soup in Chinatown, then decided to go drown my
sorrows under the stacks in the local record shop.
      After looking at every single record in the bins,and deciding to
leave the store with more than a few of them, I made my way to the counter
to be rung up. There was this couple that were a little too cute for my
liking there, not being in any sort of mood for cute couples at this
particular juncture. All of a sudden I was being punched on the arm by the
girl, who was way too cute, asking me what I was getting. This complete
stranger was showing me more love than I had ever known, just with a simple
punch. I shared my purchases and she reacted to the ones she liked by
punching my arm. We both agreed that the Rolling Stones' Sway is one of
their best. She then asked the clerk if they had any of the Belle and
Sebastian EPs. It was then that the ball really got rolling, and she, the
boy with her, and I had a great chat about B&S, the show in Boston that
none of us got to see, and just became great friends for about three
minutes, and then they were gone. Even though it was so short lived, it
really made my night, and saved me from extreme self-pity, and I was able
to return to just a normal dose of self-pity. All because of this little
pop band that I've never seen from some place I've never been. It was
pretty special.

    On the subject of discovering, or rediscovering records for the first
time; I wished that I had saved a Beatles record for many years from now. I
couldn't imagine hearing the White Album or something for the first time
again. I think I ruined it by hearing it for the first time when I was six.
If I ever have kids I'm going to save some great albums to spring on them
just when they think there is nothing left to hear by some particular
artists.

   On the subject of Douglas Coupland, I was really embarrassed to be
reading Generation X on the train. I had to put the book in a brown bag. I
found Shampoo Planet even more worthless, and the Life after God  didn't
change my mind at all. I had to cut my losses here, so I didn't read
Microserfs or Girlfriend in a Coma.

   Okay, I hope I didn't make too awful of a first impression. I hope
you'll have me back some time. I'm here in Boston in the states, and if
there are any of you local feel free to drop me a line, particularly for
the New Year. Take Care.

                      Robert Morris
                      winboog at gis.net