Sinister: sent you away, what else can i do when i need something that much?

Megan mkl206 at xxx.edu
Thu Dec 31 13:18:24 GMT 1998

happy new year's!  i'm afraid i don't have too many happy past associations
with the holiday, though i don't have unhappy ones either.  it's just one of
those holidays where one is expected to have a good time, and inevitably it
just doesn't live up to societal expectations.  my dad came home with a
bunch of liquor, so i suppose it's drunkeness at the lehar datcha tonight.
and videos.  what a combo!

anyway, first off people have been dissing (and asking about) the
tindersticks.  i'm listening to donkey's right now so i'm swept away.  first
off i simply adore the tindersticks, i've played each album an inordinate
amount of times.  right now i'm listening to donkeys, which is a rarities
collection, thoughi could see it making a good starting place, as it has
several singles from various periods in the band's history.  course if
you're in the us, it's an import so that sucks.  i woulnd't use an import as
a starting place, but if you already like the band it's very worth it, and i
hate paying more than $10 for cds, ask anyone i go shopping with.  anyway,
the music reminds me of dancing.  it reminds me of film noir, the two
strangers who meet in a club and don't ask one another's name, but proceed
to dance till dawn.  sad songs that are exquisitely beautiful.  i must
caution you that i know a lot of people who are turned off by stuart's
voice, it's low and rumbly and i seriously doubt that he's ever annunciated
a word in his life.  still, i think it adds to the sound of the band.  i
didn't like them right away, the tindersticks were a band i first heard when
their first album came out, grew to like a song from the radio, then bought
the second album.  and it sort of crept up on me, somewhere after having it
for over a year and listening to it with growing frequency i realized that i
loved it hopelessly and have been a slave since.  the music is beautifully
orchestrated.  so lovely.

er, yes.  so anyway, then someone said they liked d.h. lawrence.  i read
sons and lovers twice, first for myself, then for class, and didn't really
like it either time.  i can't get into the heads of his female characters,
and i want to crack the male protagonist over the head with a large heavy
object.  my sister's currently studying it for an oral exam, so there are
few happy associations with him in this house.  actually, this is the fisrst
time i've heard of anyone other than an english teacher liking him.  ;)
though perhaps i read the worst book, or lack some crucial understanding
needed to enjoy it.

you know, i've never heard quadrophenia or the white album in it's entirety.
shall i be kicked off the list now?  perhaps i'll pick it up at cd market if
i go this weekend, yum, love them bulgarian bootlegs.  not that i support
that practice whatsoever.  no way.  er... so anyway, will i like it?  i'm
not wholly ignorant of music from the 50's - 60's, but most of what i know
is what my parents have.  they actually have most beatles albums but the
white album.  of their stuff, i like buddy holly best.  and i must admit a
soft spot  for the carpenters, but who among you can hold out against the
charms of karen's voice?  now as long as i don't mention neil diamond i'm
safe....

steve your dream reveals a complexity that i as yet have not been in contact
with.  i shall have to consult my books and charts before giving a proper
diagnosis.

and finally, welcome to new guy.  we aren't elitists, we're just better than
everybody else.  i think the one week waiting period is a good idea, as it
gives us a chance to scare away anyone who would like things like polite
conversation or band information.  for any newcomers, this list is about
smut and nonsense, in that order.  ask mr miller.

xoxoxoxox
megan