Sinister: Two great poets: Murray Lachlan Young and Genevieve

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Sun Feb 1 13:55:41 GMT 1998

Murray Lachlan Young is indeed extremely good. "I'm Being Followed By The
Rolling Stones" is one of the funniest things I heard last year, and I
would recomend his "Vice And Verse" album to anyone (it's not the kind of
album you leave on your stereo and listen to every day, but when you do
listen to it you love it). He's also done an hilarious cover version of
"Do Wah Diddy Diddy" which has to be heard to be believed. I first saw him
supporting My Life Story, noone in the audience was expecting a poet as
the support (this was before he became quite famous) but after a couple of
poems we were transfixed, he had the audience in the palm of his hand. And
he doesn't have such an irritating way of e-nun-ci-a-ting e-ver-y word as
John Hegley.

Anyone else think the life and times of Genevieve would make perfect
subject matter for the next B&S album? Forget writing songs about Belle
and the boy Sebastian, there'd be the reptilian boy, the foot massager,
dream boy from the record store... (I'm still trying to work out what a
snowshow workout is!)

Oh yeah, and the new Space single (duet with Cerys from Catatonia) is
absolutely superb. Just thought I'd say that.
"You saved us from killing each other; (Tom Jones Tom Jones)
 You'll never know but you saved our lives. (Tom Jones Tom Jones)
 I've never thrown my knickers at you,
 And I don't come from Wales."
Genius.

And Boogie Nights is crap.