Sinister: Cool it guys and gals...

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Sun Feb 1 19:42:59 GMT 1998

What's happening? Suddenly everyone seems to have got all bitter and angry
(you know who I'm talking about!). I don't want this to sound like I'm
slagging anybody off (although it probably will to some of you, I know
I've often misinterpretted other postings). But the one and only thing
which really annoys me is people getting vindictive against each other,
and that seems to be happening on this list at the moment.

Why are we here? Why are we all subscribed to this list? Well I'm
convinced that we're all here for different reasons, and no one of those
reasons is superior to any others. Some people are here to find out facts,
and the fact that maybe a quarter of us were on the list last time those
facts were discussed doesn't mean that they're not entitled to ask about
them. The fact that somebody has only been on the list for a couple of
weeks is no reason for their opinions not to count; and it seems odd to me
that the people who aren't letting the newbies have their say are the same
ones who were detesting the elitist notions of the "true fan" not that
long ago. We all have different personalities and preferences, if one
particular thread doesn't interest you, don't read it! That's what the
delete key is for. Just don't start slagging other people off because they
are interested in it.

Those of us who've been here a while know whose mails make good reading
and (naming no names) those who we don't personally like. I'm sure it
doesn't take long for newcomers to form their own opinions on it. And we
act accordingly. It is wrong to try to impose restrictions on what people
say; just because you personally want more mails in the style of
Genevieve, of Duke, or Northy, or whoever, other people are entitled to
disagree with you. The only postings I resent are those saying in effect
that somebody's opinion doesn't count for any reason (eg they've only been
a fan for 2 months, or they haven't set up a web page in B&S's honour, or
something stupid like that).

Whoever you are reading this, there will almost certainly be another
like-minded person on the list; somebody who will want to talk about the
same things as you. And there will be others (probably more) who don't.
Accept it. Just because somebody loves B&S doesn't mean they agree with
you on everything else in life as well. So PLEASE can we all just live and
let live, and go back to being happy bunnies, before it's too late.