Sinister: Economy-sized general purpose reply

Hopkins T t.hopkins at xxx.uk
Mon Feb 2 16:18:33 GMT 1998

A few small things:

Andreas wrote:
>I thought I'd mention that the complete
>Claim output suits a C60 cassette perfectly, but you could also compile a
>C90 cassette adding some early Hurrah! stuff for the clever listees
>pursueing your generous offer ...

I fear you may be missing a few of the Claim's masterpieces, Andreas. The
two and a half LPs and several singles would take at leat a ninety and a
half to get through...Let me know what you've got and I'll fill in the
gaps:-)

But you are right in saying that the Claim were unassailably brilliant and
anyone who hasn't heard their perfect pop cocktail should take the Duke or
me up on an offer of a tape sample thereof...

Peter wrote  on the subject of speaky pop:
>Another one I'd forgotten is Isaac Hayes, who often talks about "ladies" or
>whatever for quite a while, before bursting into song

Yes! his version of 'By The Time I Get To Phoenix' is cool, but for a
special treat, seek out 'Good Love 69-969':
'I'm listed in the yellow pages all around the world,
Got thirty years' experience of lovin' sweet young girls...'
Oh, the old dog...

Southern (ish...) soul is a great place for talkover classics, though. Of
course, there are the famous Millie Jackson monologues, but Irma Thomas's
brilliant 'Coming From Behind' trumps her big-style. Interested parties let
me know for yet more tape action.

And Northy wrote...

>When I was unpopular on this list I asked everyone what film they
>though would suit a Belle and Sebastian song soundtrack.
>Thanks to some heavy promotional work from Tag I am now fairly famous
>on the list so I will ask it again.

Northy, perhaps you could write a story of your relationship to the members
of this list? I'm sure Tag will help you, if you haven't blotted your
copybook with off-the -beam Spice Girls mails...

Kim, saving my mail from being entirely off-topic, wrote:
>does anyone else happen to hear a zipper being zipped at the beginning of
>"expectations"?

I asked exactly the same question of 'King' Andy Dean, who assures me that
it is truly on the vinyl and not the sound of his record deck lid being
closed, as I had suspected... Hope this helps.

Ta ra.

Tim