Sinister: to dream the impossible dream

Stuart Gardiner skg21 at xxx.uk
Mon Feb 2 22:54:33 GMT 1998

> there's no need to argue if
> radiohead are crap or not because i doubt there's anyone motivational
> enough on this list to sway a radiohead lover's tastes in the opposite
> direction.
>
> this ain't gonna happen. if you really think radiohead suck as much as
> they do (and they do), then don't listen to them.

I see where you're coming from on this one, but I'm not entirely sure I
agree. Definitely if one person says "Radiohead are crap" and another says
"Radiohead are great" then neither gains anything, and the rest of us just
get bored. But if the person who likes them actually says WHY, what they
make him feel and think, that has to be worth something. In particular
with lesser known bands, there will be people out there who don't know
what the music sounds like; and if they read a post about how a certain
band are really romantic, or progressive, or rocktastic, or whatever, then
they have the chance to investigate further and potentially find something
truly special. This doesn't apply all the time (I expect just about
everyone knows Radiohead for example); and it doesn't need 20 people to
say the same thing (as happened with Air). But I'll bet that there's at
least one person out there who owns and loves the Air album who didn't
know them before, who has found music they love purely by it being
mentioned on the list.

So I don't have a problem with people telling me which music they like,
and why, as long as they don't bang on about it forever. I don't think the
list is (or should be) solely for idle chatter, or just for providing
information; lets have some variety. And a bit of common sense.

The Tall Git