Sinister: Pulsate gently in the morning sun

Andre Vieira alerche at xxx.net
Tue Feb 3 00:22:21 GMT 1998

Sarah,

>Oh Andre, I love the Gift Velvet underground song too! I think its one
>of the greatest things they've done, especially his completely matter of
>fact tone the whole way through it!

I love his formal/sometimes indifferent tone too!  But I must admit that I
prefer the live version featured on the "Live MCMXCIII" album (it's funny,
but it seems to me that the only good songs in that album - and I've got
the double disc version - are the ones in which Lou Reed does not sing.
I've heard someone say that no one is capable of spoiling his own songs
like Lou Reed is and I agree).  John Cale sings the song as if he was an
actor in a play.  I think it's much more vivid and sarcastic too.

>Then again, it may just be my nasty sense of yumor that finds the
>killing of Waldo slightly funny in a very black humour way....heeehee.

And IT IS funny!  The contrast between Waldo's and Sheila's expectations is
fabulous: "Oh, what Bill could teach Waldo - but that seemed like years
ago" / "Inside the package, Waldo was so transfixed with excitement that he
could hardly breathe".

You know, when I first started listening to that song I used to imagine
myself inside the box!  It's because I've had a few girlfriends who lived
in different cities than me.  And sometimes we wouldn't see each other for
several months.  Meanwhile, I'd dream about every little detail of the time
when we'd meet again.  The problem is that it has been my fate/doom/karma
to love girls way more than they usually love me, so I ended up with this
fear of being forgotten while we're apart.  As you can imagine, the song
"The Gift" hit me right on the spot!

>And I must tell YOU ALL to buy the Spiritualized single 'Think I'm in
>Love' on Feb 2nd onwards cos its so great! Especially when he starts
>listing all these things... like 'think i'm in love, probably just
>hungry' 'think i'm on fire, probably just smoking 'think i'm the life
>and soul, probably just snorting', and the music just peaks out and
>stays on this amazing beautiful strand the whole way through, and its
>devotional!

And I must tell YOU ALL to buy the Spiritualized album "Ladies And
Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" immediately!  It's certainly one of the
best albums of 1997.  My favorite song is 'Cool Waves'.  The verses "Baby
if you lose your love / Don't take me by surprise" give me the same
melancholic feeling I get when I listen to most B&S songs.  And it reminds
me of a night me and my girlfriend took ecstasy and walked around on the
streets of Sao Paulo, hugging and holding hands.  When I felt the cool
breeze agains our bodies all I could think of was:
	"Cool waves run over me
	 Cool water running free
	 Lay your sweet hand on me
	 'Cause I love you