Sinister: We are family - I've got all my sinisterines with me.

Tag mctag at xxx.com
Tue Feb 3 12:51:12 GMT 1998

Hello,

Oh, that's better.  This joint was jumpin' yesterday.

Oh yes, un grand merci to all the people who wrote to all the people
who wrote about Autour de Lucie, too many to reply to, though I tried.
Oh God how I tried.  Anyway, I feel like an expert now.

Sarah the angry young glamour puss wrote a load of stuff, which was
basically ace, but in particular:

>Yeah, I write a fanzine, wackily enough because I CARE? So I don't know
>every perfect fact about every band about, sue me. I love what I find
>worthy to be lovd, no doubt now I am probably missing out on something
>fantastic. As is life.

Fanzines.  It's so easy to dismiss them as the ramblings of an
obsessive mind.  Personally, I like the ramblings of obsessive minds.
Look at all the 'popstars' who wrote them:  Stephen Pastel, Bob
Stanley, Brother John Robb (yes Cairns, very funny), Alan McGee.  Or
journos - Steven Wells did one - sort of, James Brown (not that one,
the one who did Loaded), err Everett True.  Hang on, these people are
all crap.  I did one.  I did 3.  And I'm sort of a journalist.
Whatever, fanzines are cool.

>Perhaps we should avoid each other on chat :o)

I don't.  I think it could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Northy wrote:

>When I was unpopular on this list

Goodness, when was that then?

>Thanks to some heavy promotional work from Tag

Some fairly heavy promotional work by Northy, I think.

>I am now fairly famous

That's one way of putting it...

Genevieve wrote:

>Oh..... Lets get married and have rose petals thrown at us!

My mouth is opening and closing, but no sound is emerging.

>Speaking of...I have a fanzine (well a soon-to be finished) would any of you
>actually want to read it?

Yes.  Oh yes.  If I don't get to read an interview with Draculette, Mr
Reptilian and the mad guy who lives down you road, I will be a very
disappointed Tag.

John John the Dandy Don wrote:

>Genevieve have you any idea how happy Tag will be when he
>reads this? I know he wanted a bit more excitement but the poor
>lad may just go weak at the knees and fall over and hurt himself.

Watch it, pal.  Who do you think I am - Serge Gainsbourg?  Oh no,
sorry, that's who I think I am.

>Actually, I'm already married to him so you can just leave off lady.

What???

>Does it really matter what the TRUTH is anyway? It suits me to believe
>that Lee Hazlewood lives in a remote log cabin somewhere in
>Northern Sweden, waited on hand and foot by a bevvy of Scandinavian
>beauties.

This letter gets better and better.

>Every time I put on a Lee record and listen to that voice, =
>this is the absolute truth of the matter and no intrusion of pedantic
>fact will sway me from that opinion. As far as pop music is concerned, it's
>YOUR world and the truth can be whatever YOU want it to be.

Oh, yes we are married after all.  I remember.  Who wouldn't want to
be married to this big hunk o' love?  And girls, he has got a Scottish
accent.

>Gosh the overall taste and decorum on this list is exemplary. Out of all
>those wonderful bands that were listed in a mail the other day how did
>the conversation manage to end up on "Even As We Speak"???

It beggars belief, doesn't it.

>Just what is a "cutie"?

You are, Pumpkin Pie.

>McTaggart the mouth

You're on borrowed time, sonny.

>That wasn't a question that was inspirational, mate. After all your bleating
>if you haven't started a Northern Soul club by July there'll be trouble to pay!

Bleating???  I meant it, maaan.  Anyway, dammit I just might start one
out of spite.

>Has anybody got or heard the "Jacques and his Jacquettes" record by
>Jacques Dutronc and Francoise Hardy? I'm convinced it MUST be the
>Nancy and Lee of the French speaking world. Anyway...

If any readers know the answer to this, could they tell me as well.

Koogy Wonderland wrote:

>northy was asking about films that would fit with b&s's music. i think
>it'd have to be something french and 1960's, the new wave stuff, the
>cinema verite stuff. a women walking down the middle of a busy road
>selling 'Cahiers Du Cinema'.

Andy, I'd like to discuss this with you further.  You have just hit on
my favourite subject.  I had to do one of those effective speaking
courses at work.  And I really hate public speaking (no, honestly I
do).  Anyway, everyone normally talked about engineering this, and
technical that, but I decided to talk about the French New Wave.  I'd
got halfway through my notes and the guy said 30 seconds left.  I err,
got a bit carried away.  But if anyone wants me to give them 200 words
on why 'Les quatre cents coups' and 'Une femme et une femme' are two
of the best films ever made ever, then I will happily oblige.

>the list fanzine thing is a strange idea - why create something like a
>fanzine when we have a much more immediate form of communication in
>this list?

No, no I didn't mean it like that.  I like the idea of the list being
a sort of daily fanzine though.  Basically, I love it when people tell
me with a certain passion about new things, but I get a bit narky when
I hear such and such are good, no they're not, yes they, fuck off,
wanker ... and so on.  If someone writes I like Murray whathisfaace
because he makes me feel like this ... well that's great.  I may not
agree - I mean I remember going out for a drink with someone I used to
work with who loved opera.  I don't, but the way this guy talked about
it was very special.  Errm ... yeah sorry, the list as a fanzine ... I
like it!

Someone wrote, and I've forgotten who:

>Tag, I would consider it an honour to electronically appear next to your
>naked Hebridean adventure shots.

I'm going to Iceland this year.  Because I'm a geyser.

Katrina wrote:

>> i always hate first e.mails to mailing lists. you come across all naive and stupid because you
>> don't know the protocol and jargon.
>
>normally i start getting scared when i read opening lines like these.
>however, i think we need more posts like Chris's.  even though i found
>it a bit hard to read, i think we all need to listen to the sentiment in
>what this lovely boy has to say.

Yeah, I've been feeling rotten about saying 'what a nice man' after
reading Chris' smashing first post.  I really wasn't being sarcastic.
Damn this faceless email stuff.

Katrina also talked about picnics and drinking and disco dancing
midsummer extravaganzas.  And that sounds great.

Someone wrote

>> And Boogie Nights is crap.
>
>couldn't agree with you more here, tho. truly disappointing, cheap and
>easy.

Fuck off, wanker.  Just kidding.

Love,
Tag xx