Sinister: RetroSinister

Simon Collins slc111 at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 3 19:28:54 GMT 1998

This whole BelleandSebastian being a sixties  sounding band. They always get labelled, even
on this list as a retro band, but this misses the point. The whole 'what type of film would suit
them' thing; well lots of flares and lava lamps and the whole groovey caboodle misses the
point. They convey a feeling, an emotion first, and their sound comes second. They are so
much better at this than so many other bands - It's just that they are actually so fresh to listen
to, so up to the minute because of the feeling the songs convey. So they could in fact do the
soundtrack to any modern film, if it was suitable, not necessarily the next Austin Powers. For
instance, 'Get me Away from here I'm dying' could be used in Reservoir Dogs, and work,
because First off people would recognise it as suiting the scene, and second as sounding
perhaps a bit sixties.
I've failed to articulate myself here, and perhaps shot myself in the foot with the choice of
Reservoir Dogs ( perhaps something like Nil by mouth or Leaving Las Vegas would've been
better  )  But I hope someone out there gets what I'm saying.

Simon.