Sinister: to dream the impossible dream

David & Katrina bluesoda at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 3 21:50:15 GMT 1998

susannah wrote:

> on 01 Feb 98, Tag wrote...
>
> >Enough is enough,
> >
>   I like the idea of people getting inspired by Belle
> >and Sebastian, to write and move and do stuff instead of sitting back
> >and digesting, expecting to be entertained, just saying 'oh, aren't
> >they good' or 'this is pop!' isn't even good enough.  This could be
> >beautiful - we've got a whole load of people from around the world and
> >it's a cause for celebration and doing something a bit more creative -

Katrina mentioned about the picnics and stuff, so I'd thought it'd be
wise to clarify.

The picnics, were the end result of a grand scheme that myself and a few
friends shared.
The idea was to take the friendships that we had all been making in
various clubs and bring them into daylight, through activities, events
and little adventures. The result was that after Glyn (one of the
friends) had started his own club we finally had the ability to do these
things. So the club was created as way of bringing like minded life
loving people together.

The club was a bit weird, to further our philosophy we were giving out
fruit in the early hours (to cool people down whilst not forcing them to
drink), installed massive air conditioning (at this point in time no
London clubs had thought of this), and organising games of Twister on
the dance floor.

When the club began to be a victim of it's own success (no Twister games
as you didn't have the room to put the board anywhere) we began
searching for the new outlet. After accidentally stumbling on a group of
people on Primrose Hill, we went for a drink with them, but ended up
staying on the hill till the early hours, a few of us stayed there all
night and just talked the hours away. So the picnic was born.

We made some 4,000 flyers and at the clubs and parties just gave them
out. 60 people attended the first Going Underground Picnic (Going
Underground was the slightly unoriginal name of Glyn's club). We had
packed our lunch's in advance and only had to stop at the off-licence to
top up on alcohol. We played games (Stuck in the mud, Hide 'n' seek,
Rescue) and team games (Soccer, Rounders and a very bad game of
Volleyball with a football), and generally laughed, drank and climbed
trees.

The Summer offered numerous occasions to be silly on, and when we were
not putting washing up liquid in the fountains at Trafalgar Square, we
were to be found climbing trees on Primrose Hill. The most successful
picnic was 120 people, a home movie, games of soccer and rounders and a
now legendary stay to see the sun both set and rise (we'd decided to
celebrate the longest day by staying up all night) with our friends and
wrapped in blankets.

They were beautiful days, and we've tried many times to re-create them,
but after the first summer our attempts always failed to encompass the
original spirit, too many relationships and missing people i think. But
anyhow, my idea...

If enough of us are around one location this summer, it may be about the
right time to have a resurrection. All you really need to bring with you
is a sense of adventure and willingness to forget the pressures of time.
Stuart Murdoch, has always said that he'd like to go to one, so if he's
around we'd have at least one willing person.

David

--
                 Belle and Sebastian Fan Club
     merchandise, mail-outs, chat, lyrics, poetry, fiction
               mailto:bluesoda at totalweb.co.uk