Sinister: I love you all

Alexander Romanelli seu05 at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 4 17:15:55 GMT 1998

I've just read several days worth of digests, as I've been busy writing
essays about things like Roberto Rossellini and slave narratives. Some
lovely posts from everyone which have inspired me to say something
irrelevant.

Firstly, whoever suggested Throwing Muses (RIP) covering 'Lazy Line
Painter Jane' deserves a medal. Especially if it was mid 80s era Muses,
kristin Hersh wailing away, and we could draft in their eventual
keyboard player to add a swamp meets Phil Spector style wall of sound.

Personally i'd like to hear David Bowie cover B&S, but the question
isn't so much which B&S song, more which David Bowie. I expect
Genevieve's vote would be for Labyrinth-style (which I dig too...the
soundtrack tape seems to be of much amusement to all my friends, why?)
but after watching The Man Who Fell To Earth last night I guess I'd
currently plump for Low-era Bowie. If only for the wonderful hair:
deeply dyed orange with blonde bits at the front.

Tag's insistence we get off our arses and Sarah's Tigermilk listening
have given me ideas for what to do when I get my bloody finals over and
done with. Everybody: create!

The summer picnics are a beautiful idea, and this was made weirdly
circular when it was revealed Going Underground was the start of all
that. I still carry a Going Underground flyer in my wallet. Have done
for years. God knows why, I'm only 22 so I never got a chance to go the
club (hang on, was about to say it was around years ago, but Katrina
said only 2??!!Thought I'd had this flyer for donkeys)
I think I liked the way it had Bill Murray on it, could
be passed off as London transport id and fitted nicely with my credit
card sized stuff. Much nicer to look at that than a bank card.

And French New Wave is lovely, 400 Blows is such an endearing movie.
(Tag, if you want to write a 3000 word essay for me on 400 Blows, or A
Bout de Souffle, or any French new wave at all then you could well help
me cheat my way into a good degree. Or maybe I should just carry on as
planned and write about Wenders instead.)

Oh, and on the subject of movies, someone said
they'd never heard of Hal Hartley? He is probably my favourite director
working today, try to see any of his films. His dialogue would be
greatly appreciated by fans of B&S lyrics. His films are always
very funny, poignant, moving and insightful.

Oh, and if anyone is ever in Brighton, don't believe flyers for the
Underground which claim they'll be playing B&S. I think certain clubs
are namechecking the band without ever playing them, because they know
they're popular among a distinguished crowd and their name will make the
club look trendy and diverse.

I've gone on way too long haven't I.....
Alex Romanelli        seu05 at central.sussex.ac.uk