Sinister: Swells slaggers in NME

Simon Gooch simon.gooch at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 4 23:39:00 GMT 1998

Hmmn,

Yeah, crabby old Marxist that Swells is, I though that Panda boy
Williams gave a pretty fair responce. Sure, the Belles aint Swells
cuppa, but at least he wrote eleoquently and amusingly. He's the sort
of old fool that loves the attention. As for accusations of sour
grapes at the NME I'm not so sure. I felt those letters painted B&S
fans as rather foolish, petty and silly. The reply that Simon
Williams gave made a lot of sense (not to bring up any good/bad gig,
professionalism/ineptness deabte again). Its no conspiracy. One guy
hated the band. The rest of the paper (belatedly) seem to love them,
despite the fact they don't "play the game".

See Jason Pierce's comments in that Awards round up for fair comment
about where the majority of the NME staffers heads are at the moment.
Sad to say, its the best indie-based mainstream mag around, now we've
lost the MAker up its own Smash Hits obsessed arse (at least Pricey
and Taylor liked pop for pops sake, not idiotic irony manifesting
itself wank-led piss-poor writing..).

Oh well. Some people always have to be petty.

Simon

--
               ***  Luv, hugs and kisses from Simon ***
        (aka Chipper! Fanzine aka Squirrel Fanciers' Quarterly)
                      simon.gooch at zetnet.co.uk