Sinister: i gave myself to sin

**Megan Lehar** mkl206 at xxx.edu
Thu Feb 5 06:45:50 GMT 1998

today i'm going for content, oodles and oodles of content.  i will be very
factual and not wander away from the facts.  well, i guess not.  but i've
come to enjoy posting mildly off topic letters to the list and can't stop
myself.  ah, the joys of addiction.

lady jillian said:
>>ohmigod.
my computer spoke to me today.
i swear!  there was nothing in the cd rom and i wasn't on the internet or
anything but there was this little sound/voice? coming out of the
speakers for about 2 seconds.  it freaked me out.  it sounded like a
walkie talkie/alien signal coming thru... *CHHHKKK*  i dunno what it said
but i think it spoke chinese!<<

personally, i think it was the influence of belle and sebastian.  after
hearing their music fly up into space the alien races banded together and
are trying to make first contact through the list.  unfortunately, it seems
they miscalculated and are no better at working computers than most of us.

then stevie said:
>>David's picnic sounds like a jolly good idea. In the meantime, for those of
you in the London area, a few of us are meeting up at the Poetry Cafe on
Betterton Street  in Covent Garden on Friday after 7pm, if you fancy coming
along. Even you, Northy!<<

i do not recommend that anyone do this without a detailed map of covent
garden and directions.  bring the number for the cafe and make sure to
arrive properly and not get lost or it is quite possible that he will
blacklist you forever....  (not that i speak from experience or anything).

so genevieve asked:
>>Sinister people,tell me some good books I should read!<<

geek love by katherine dunn has been out awhile, but i always recommend it
right off because it's such an amazing book, and everyone should read it.
it's hard to describe, because trying to condense the plot to a couple
lines is quite impossible.  it's about a family of freaks, but they aren't
really outcasts.  the whole book is complex and simple and totally amazing.
hmm, sorry if this doesn't make sense, but you really must read it.

which prompted gordon to say:
>>Picture drawing (kind of like the Gallery on Hart Beat). Hart Beat for
the foreign listees is/was a kids T.V. programme about art.

I think the subject area could be fellow listees (as the majority of us
don't know what each other looks like).

Suggested ideas could be:
        - Genevieve flirting with Record Shop Boy.
        - HoneyPaul in his legendary dwarf pose.
        - Sarah strangling the Duke of Harringay with some sixth form
          poetry
        - Tag saving Northy's bacon
        - And whatever else<<

oh, i really like this idea!! that would give me something fun to do during
my writing workshop class (and yes, i am in college.  sad, i know).

so sarah replied:
>>I am currently reading the Rebel (in English) by Camus and L'etranger
(in French) by the same dude. I'm not sure which one is easier to read
actually. On State Terrorism and iirational Terror now methinks. Ooh its
hard work.<<

that's odd, as a friend just loaned me the plague by camus, which he swears
by.  and he thought it was light reading.  should i be worried?

thus matthew concluded:
>>Weekly".  Of course, no one has proposed to me, so last night I resigned
myself to the life of a spinster--I found fifty cats to live with me, I took
up knitting, and I am currently attempting to frighten the children on my
street.   <<

and really, isn't that what we're all sort of aiming for anyway?  at least,
i am.  especially the 50 cats part!

xox
megan

mkl206 at is8.nyu.edu