Sinister: re: and the dream of belle & sebastian (plus other stuff, kinda long)

andrew dean andrew.dean at xxx.net
Thu Feb 5 22:11:26 GMT 1998

actually it's just long, no 'kinda' about it...

Sinister: and the dream of belle & sebastian

Madame Cholet (barzy at networkmags.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 09:48:18 -0800

>I bet there are more people on this list who dream about Belle &
> Sebastian, than anywhere else in the world...

strange you should say that because i had one last night too. no cover
versions of the sweeps' song from mary poppins this time though...

i was in america somewhere and i was waiting for a bus with my family
and i popped across the road to buy something when the bus arrived and
everyone got on and left without me, wah! luckily chris and maybe stevie
were in the nearby saloon bar and offered me a lift in their van. we
drank whisky and ate cherries... don't ask me why. i don't even like
whisky. or cherries come to that...

> I'm suprised that no one was naked, considering what i've been reading
> before bed...

you'll go blind...

> with long distance relationships, a girl's got to keep amused
>somehow... right?

you too eh? it's a bitch isn't it? i blame the internet and the easier
access to global communications. there's just going to be more and more
of this as time goes on. good for the airline companies i guess. what's
he like? is he a cutie? 8)

elsewhere:
WesleySniper (wac at coventry.ac.uk)

>The NME article - why did they get a dickhead to go and see them
>in the first place?

exactly. the mauling was, in my eyes, premeditated.

>Anyway, B & S are always being nominated for best new
>band, for a couple of years now. There should be a category for "Best
>band that have been around for a while and been discovered". ha!

ha ha. a few years ago blur were nominated in best newcomer categories
everywhere despite 'she's so high' having been released in 1987 or so.
ditto pulp despite being around from 1982. ha 'this year's best newcomer
goes to thomas edison for "mary had a little lamb"'...

>The trumpet player at the manchester gigs. I'm sure he plays
>trumpet for a scots band called 'Hardbody'. They supported "james"
>last year, so i think he's the same bloke. any ideas?

>any answer to the tigermilk girl poser? who is she? is shee the
>smae woman in the dog on wheels picture?

these are both FAQs, check the archives. (yes is the answer to the first
one, a single or two out on haiku records i believe, picked one up for
50p in badlands records in cheltenham just before christmas, dec 23rd to
be precise. this is also the record shop that katrina phoned up and
chastised last wednesday... his name's mick i believe, last seen
retrieving stevie's beer in manchester)

i have quite a list of people who want tigermilk and people prepared to
tape it for people, will pair you all up as best i can and let you know
before the weekend if possible. anybody else wants a copy then just
email me - this is just an attempt to keep all the requests for copies
off the list (as they are so dull to read). more people willing to tape
copies would be appreciated too, especially americans. which reminds me,
include a note saying where you are geographically so i can match you up
with someone local.

andy
koogydelbbog at yahoo.com

other things that have cropped up here but are non b&s:
oh, spiritualized single is out and the chemical brothers remix has
grown on me. i wish that first big thump was a lot more brutal, a bit
more punk, a bit more prodigy, made a bigger splash as it were but the
general wibbling is kinda pleasant. it's not as good as the original
but, hey, i can play the original any time i want anyway. it's good to
have a choice. like the two versions of 'seeing other people'. what is
inexcusable though is the instrumental version which is identical to the
remix but with one of the master tracks volume turned down. lazy lazy
lazy. also, the single version, track 1, is a hatchet job, editted down
to nothing. um, i can just picture tim 'pinteresque' hopkins shaking his
head and muttering 'pink floyd' under his breath at this. 'FUCK OFF you
indie snob' is all i have to say... 8)

oh, btw star, it sounded like you had a good day yesterday. did you also
notice that your fanzine got a mention on the round up of zines on
teletext... it didn't say much apart from listing the contents, wasn't a
review as such but was stardom nonetheless.

books? the little prince by antoine de saint exupery is a must for
everyone here. it's one of those kid's books that's spoilt on children.
and, as has been said before, he kinda looks like someone we all know...