Sinister: Sometimes I feel like throwing my pants up in the air

Tag mctag at xxx.com
Thu Feb 5 16:23:26 GMT 1998

Hello Losers,

Lordy, digest overdose ...

After some technical hitches, I'm back.  I'm back in Denim.  And this
time I'm gonna get literary on yo assess.

Rob wrote:

>can i be arsed to come to covent garden??  hmmm, i don't know. maybe

Lazy git.  I'm coming from Manchester.  Well, I'm in London anyway as
it turns out, but that is *not* the point.  Oh dear - I think I'm
turning into Kevin Rowland.

Pedro Miller wrote:

>What was it?  The only OJ I've ever seen was some concert interspersed with
>footage of Edwyn and Zeke doing their stuff in an orange juice factory.

It was the rampant cross-dressing extravaganza that is 'Blueboy'.
Edwyn had absolutely fantastic boobs - I was salivating like Pavlov's
dogs.  Then I realised.  I haven't been so embarrassed since I sat
transfixed by Jennifer Capriati at Wimbledon a few years back only to
hear the commentator say 'Another fantastic cross-court volley from
the 13 year old'.  I paraded through town wearing sackcloth and ashes,
shouting "Unclean", while the village idiot through turnips at me.

My wife wrote:

>Sinister people,tell me some good books I should read!

Much as I hate Jack Kerouac, I heartily recommend 'Maggie Cassidy',
the ultimate story of teenage love gone sour.  I fancied Maggie rotten
all the way through the book.  And that is praise indeed.  'Sweet
Thursday' by John Steinbeck is beautiful, but I've just read 'The
heart is a lonely hunter' by Carson McCullers, at long last, and I
have to say that Genevieve and Mick Kelly have a great deal in common.

Brad, who I like more and more every day, wrote

>i usually don't get all into the literary discussions, but no one seems
>to have mentioned my favorite poet and author.
>richard brautigan.
> his poetry is wonderful, if often overlooked for his novels. try "the
>pill versus the sprinhill mine disaster" for a good collection of poems.
>for novels try "in watermelon sugar" , "so the wind won't blow it all
>away" , or "the abortion" for starters. he's famous for "trout fishing
>in america" but that book holds nothing against his other works. i don't
>even know why it's so popular.

I think all of Richard Brautigan's stuff is worth reading.  I found
loads in Altrincham library for some reason, and hungrily read one
after another.  A good start is the book of short stories and bits and
pieces 'The Tokyo Montana Express' is awesome.  His prose is so naive,
and yet the images he conveys are so evocative and sometimes magically
surreal.  Some bits make you laugh, others make you cry, but they'll
all touch you.

Rob wrote:

>Gabriel-Garcia Marquez - Love in the Time of Cholera,...anybody..??

I totally agree.  Basically this Bolivian guy falls in love with a
woman, who marries someone else, so he just waits around for years and
years for her husband to pop his clogs.  I never thought I could fall
in love with a book where old people get it on, but GG-M manages to
describe the sights and sounds and smells in such vivid detail that
it's totally intoxicating, romantic and well, ace really.

I warn you, I'm going to get on to films now ...

Alexander wrote:

>And French New Wave is lovely, 400 Blows is such an endearing movie.
>(Tag, if you want to write a 3000 word essay for me on 400 Blows, or A
>Bout de Souffle,

I do not in any way advocate cheating in education, because, you know,
you're only cheating yourself, but I'd love a bite of souffle, thanks.

Someone said:

>they'd never heard of Hal Hartley? He is probably my favourite director
>working today, try to see any of his films. His dialogue would be
>greatly appreciated by fans of B&S lyrics. His films are always
>very funny, poignant, moving and insightful.

The boy's right.  Anyone who can cast the luscious Isabelle Hupert as
a 'choosy' nymphomaniac porn writing nun, have Pavement songs on thhe
soundtrack, and direct a dance scene (to Sonic Youth) that makes Uma
and Johnny's bit in 'Pulp Fiction' look like, like ... I dunno,
something crap, is OK in my book.  More dance scenes in films I say.

And more dance routines to hit singles.  Now there's a competition -
whoever invents the best dance routine to 'LL Painter J' wins a night
of torrid passion with Northy, and Rod Begbie too.

Love Tag xx