Sinister: Felt Albums

Matthew Neimark mneimark at xxx.com
Fri Feb 6 01:49:12 GMT 1998

One of my favorite albums in the whole wide world is by Felt.  _Forever
Breathes the Lonely Word_.  It is quite literaly a half-hour of orgasmic
mind blowing experience.  Listening to it makes me feel as if I were
falling through canyons in Utah during the hot summer sun.  By the
albums climax (Gather Up your wings and Fly.) I'm so engaged.  My heart
is beating viciously and I feel like entering right into the song.
Lawrence is in my head.  Martin Duffy is playing the hammond of my soul.
I'm soaring above the Arizona desert.

Err... perhaps I'm exaggerating.  But the fact is that the album is a
perfect mix of goth, pop, and country.  (Lawrence mastered the steel
guitar at this point and John A. Rivers is the master of musical
production.)  Definitely in my top ten of LPs (including Tigermilk and
Toulouse's "The Way the City Stretches.").  But go-figure.  This album
clicked with me.  A lot of the other Felt albums I like (and can find
stand-out songs even), but nothing near FBTLW, the king of Felt albums.

Oh and somebody said that Lawrence never sang "The World is Soft as
Lace."  They are right.  He sang something like, "The softest lace I
could touch" in this song.  But that's not the point.  In "London has
let me Down" he sings of the sadness of not being able to find Lawrence.
But the song can apply to anything.  For me it applies to returning to a
certain foreign country in search of a certain lost love...

Matt