Sinister: Carver, Wolff and Ink Polaroids

Jonathan Wren jwg.wren at xxx.com
Sun Feb 8 05:46:24 GMT 1998

My first posting to Sinister! I've been (sort of) lurking, althought this is mainly due
to the fact that I'm currently living 400 miles away from my computer doing voluntary
work (or slave labour as it currently is) in Dundee. Anyway...

Good to someone recommend Raymond Carver. I've got a mate up in Dundee who really
recommended Carver and I was reading his Where I'm Calling From collection of selected
stories on the train back to London yesterday. Very impressive and very human.

Even better is Tobias Wolff. I got The Stories of Tobias Wolff before Christmas and was
totally hooked. The man creates stories of everyday lives in America which are
perceptive and deeply beautiful. I write stories myself and if I come NEAR to writing
anything as good as Wolff, I'll be a happy man. If anything, his latest collection of
stories, The Night in Question, is even better.

Ink Photographs and Little Ink Movies. I ordered both of these in the week between
Christmas and New Year and haven't got them yet. Can anyone give me some idea of how
long it might take for them to come. I'm desperate to read them given the quality of the
ones I've read and, of course, the wonderful CD booklet stories.

Speaking of waiting, I ordered LLPJ and DOW singles at Virgin over 4 weeks ago and I'm
still waiting for DOW! Still, the glories of You Made Me Forget My Dreams and Photo
Jenny kind of make up for it.

All the best for now,

Jon