R: Sinister: high fidelity... low quality writing

Francesco A. Franzmoz at xxx.it
Sun Feb 8 00:14:24 GMT 1998

----------
> Stuart Gardiner wrote:
>
> > On the subject of books, I'm not a great reader, but I would recomend
> > Nick
> > Hornby's "High Fidelity" to anyone.
>
> sappiest book i ever tried to read, and no mistake.  i wanted to
> throttle the lead character, and every other character come to think of
> it... couldn't get beyond the first third.  shite.  actually, worse than
> shite, just too bloody obvious predictable bollocks
etc....
I think that "High fidelity" is a really really good book and that Stuart
is completely right!
If the Duke thinks that what the author wrote are  only "obvious
predictable bollocks" so he probably must go further than the first third.
But, as the Latin said "De gustibus non est disputandum"!

> great books what i have just read:  Raymond Chandler - anything by this
> dude is cool.  Style seems to me to be in the Salinger vein... this
> ain't just 'crime' writing, it be classic literature that you can get a
> kick out of.  Yum.

It could be that Salinger took inspiration from Chandler, who wrote the
most of his works before.
(Even if I sincerely doubt of it!).
BTW, both GENEVA (on a single) and Robyn Hitchcock (on an old album) made
songs named after R.Chandler ("Raymond Chandler"-by Geneva and "Raymond
Chandler evening"- by R.Hitchcock)
and, of course, R.C. is a great writer, no doubt.!
Love, Francesco.

"...and when I'm lying in my bed
I think about life
and I think about death
and neither one particularly appeals to me...."
S.P.M.

It could be that Saliger took inspiration from Chandler who