Sinister: me siento siniestra

Amanda Bergman a-bergman at xxx.edu
Sun Feb 8 09:13:17 GMT 1998

now that my Spanish midterms are all done, I can attend to list business...

Laurel Pythikins wrote:

>aaaanyway, this is my first ever post to the list so hullo and kisses and
>happy introductions to all!!

dear Laurel, surely it has been a long and arduous work week...but good
heavens, you posted to the list just the other day! And David "Huxley"
Kitchen even had the kindness to respond to said post! And now you're
claiming that one to be the first?? it seems to me that someone has gotten
her mailing lists a bit mixed up!      : )

okay...now to the real stuff. and it's been a while...so here goes:

1) Cheers to HoneyPaul for designing a really stunning (potential)
albumcover for the next B&S release. If you haven't seen it already, go to
his web page where there's a handy link right to it.  I can say no
more--you've got to see the cuteness for yourself.

2) Picnics: splendid idea! I'll be available as import starting the 20th of
June, I believe, so the suggestion of holding one on the 21st sounds
parfait to me. I'll just ready the ol' blanket lined hamper and matching
flatware...and my frisbee. Do you have Ultimate Frisbee in England?
Excellent park game. The first time I ever heard Belle and Sebastian was
following a game of frisbee in the park with my friend Ned. We collapsed,
exhausted, on the grass and Ned put on the IYFS CD and soon we were feeling
like Stars of not just Track and Field, but Frisbee, too...

3) tapes: to anyone whom I promised a tape to, they'll be on their way
shortly. if you have any queries/concerns, email me privately...

4) Books: I second Megan's recommendation of _Geek Love_ by Katherine Dunn.
It's narrated by an albino dwarf with a tail. 'Nuff said. Also good: _The
Phantom Tollbooth_. I read it first when I was eight or so and it just
keeps getting better. It even makes math seem (gasp!) sort of fun. And
coming from me, that's a big deal. As I always say, there are three kinds
of people in this world: those who get math, and those who don't. And if
you like girls named Amanda (/me giggles), try Tom Robbins' _Another
Roadside Attraction_. The main character shares my name and my, erm,
fondness for butterflies and motorcycles...  ?

5) Nathalie wrote:

>i loved matthew's post... by the way, hello everyone!

I love Matthew's posts as well...and I loved what she did with his,
snipping it and rearranging it in poem form. It was the perfect sort of
reply, really.

6) B&S dreams...I had one as well. I don't remember much about it...except
that a bunch of  us listees/chattees had gathered at some kind of bizarre
auction...they were auctioning off the band members' old mismatched
socks...and all I wanted was something olive green and argyle...and then
the auctioneer held up one right olive green argyle sock, formerly owned by
Stevie Jackson, I believe...and I rummaged through my pockets looking for
money but all I had was my student ID, and they wouldn't give me the sock
in exchange for a free meal in my university dorm's dining center...and I
started to yell at the auctioneer that he was being ridiculous, that this
was an unlimited salad bar we were talking here, when Paul and Tag and
Laurel and Tim and Chris and rachee all had to drag me kicking and
screaming from the auction.

but socks? unmatched old SOCKS?

oh, dear, my computer burps on the hour...3AM? how did this happen??

/me sighs
/me apologizes for any rambling contained in this post
/me advises anyone who doesn't understand this "/me" stuff to download chat
software ASAP and succumb to the wonderful world that is #sinister. if not,
I might have to come after you with a carp, and nobody really wants it to
have to come to that.

all right. nighty night then.

love lovely love,
Amanda

--
"My dear Amanda," intoned the family lawyer, "it has come to my attention
that you are increasingly seen in the company of extremely weird

--from _Another Roadside Attraction_

and hey, on that note...I'm going to be in London March 20-29...can't wait
to meet you lot...