R: Sinister: Opening lines, and NO not in *that* way!!!!

Francesco A. Franzmoz at xxx.it
Sun Feb 8 11:53:26 GMT 1998

> this would be, whats the best opeinng line from a novel?

> Has anyone else got any good lines? Please do tell 'cos we'd like that a
> lot cos we're like that really and...oooh....just go on! We could have a
> top ten chart run down like wot old Top of The Pops with Smashie and
> nicy used to do!
> I'M GOING NOW BYE!!!!!!!

The problem with this idea, IMO, is that almost everyone reads thier books
in their own language translation.
So I could tell you a lot of wonderful opening lines in italian but I think
it would be useless.
I try with an english one:
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want
to know is where I was born, and what my childhood was like, and how my
parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David
Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it."
I hope everyone knows where I picked up this one.
Love, Francesco.

"...and when I'm lying in my bed
I think about life
and I think about death
and neither one particularly appeals to me...."
S.P.M.