Sinister: Out with the old, in with the new.

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Mon Feb 9 06:39:21 GMT 1998

Paul Blackwell wrote ...

>I also went to Catatonia gig with North the other night and Catatonia were
>good despite what North says. I would also have to disagree with his point
>about Superstar being 'dull, dull, dull'.

Truth is that the most recent _18 Carat_ mini album didn't live up to my
expectations (except the marvellous "Superstar" and possibly "Little
picture"), but I'd trade in my Teenage Fanclub collection for the _Greatest
Hits Vol. One_ mini album or the Groovy Little Numbers 12"'s anytime ... and
anyone slagging off Superstar should not forget that Joseph McAlinden
contributed a fair share to the success of the BMX Bandits, for example by
co-writing and performing vocals on "Serious drugs" ...

>On the tube on the way home from that gig, a homeless guy made a speech to
>the train carriage we were in about his situation. He said he was in a
>catch-22 situation, no fixed address means he can't get a job or dole, and
>no job means he can't get a fixed address. He said he had worked all his
>life and had been in our position and didn't like being bothered by the
>likes of him. But if anyone could spare any change, food or even water it
>would be greatly appreciated, and if we couldn't or didn't want to, that was
>okay too. I had no money or food on me but North had money and gave none,
>nobody gave the man anything. He didn't complain, he just went onto the next
>carriage to give his speech again. After he was gone North was complaining
>saying he hated people like that - making him feel guilty, laying the 'guilt
>trip' on him. He also said the guy had no right to do that to him. How
>selfish is Northy? Oh dear, did the homeless guy make poor old North feel
>guilty. Perhaps if he felt guilty then there was something to feel guilty
>about. I felt sorry for the guy and wished I could help but did not hate him
>for talking to us. This is not a personal attack on Northy, I am just
>letting you all know the truth.

Stereotypical attitude. I've heard of several people being either on the
dole or homeless who became subsequently fairly succesful songwriters ...
F.M. Cornog a.k.a. East River Pipe, anyone ? Praise Northy with the _Shining
hours in a can_ CD by East River Pipe on his next birthday without
mentioning the issue and find out whether he likes it ... will people ever
learn ?

>"The club isn't open"

Andreas

The rain it raineth on the just