Sinister: Nico (NBSC) (was: Re: Red House Painters)

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Mon Feb 9 16:51:47 GMT 1998

Pierre-Alain Masson wrote ...

> It's funny how Red House Painters seems to be an obscure group
>in UK. In France, I wouldn't say they are grand public but we often
>hear about them.

Similar things could be said as regards Germany and Sweden ...

>I love the way Mark Kozelec (singer) always sings, as if the
>music behind him didn't exist. I mean, whatever the music goes, he's
>singing with the same depressed and beautifull voice, somewhat like
>Nico used to do with the Velvets. That makes the whole thing
>fascinating...

That's interesting, since I've especially recommended the _Chelsea Girl_
debut album by Nico (born as Christa Pa:ffgen near Cologne / Germany) in a
private mail today ... as much as I like the efforts on _Velvet Underground
And Nico_, I'm always dissapointed that the _Chelsea Girl_ solo album isn't
mentioned in the same breath ... a classic masterpiece involving, inter
alia, the songwriting of Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison and Bob
Dylan, even though my favourite tune "The fairest of the seasons" was penned
by Copeland/Browne ... available as CD reissue, *highly* recommended for the
uninitiated.

And speaking of depressed and beautiful voices ... although that album is
inferior, "Afraid" from _Desertshore_ is probably the most touching moment
in the history of P!O!P! music ... imagine the intimate atmosphere created
by "The boy done wrong again" (my favourite B&S song) and think further ...
further ... further ...

Besides, how popular is the "Nico Icon" documentary in other countries ?

"Wrap your troubles in dreams"

Andreas

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella